Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile Call Control FNE using analog lines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritzAndrew

Technical User
Dec 3, 2023
US
I have used the Mobile Callback on PRIs and they work just fine.

I know the documents say they will not work on analog. I tried it to see what would happen and it called back on my cell as usual I got dial tone but I could not break dial tone with DTMF.

From a technical standpoint what is the reason why does it not work and is there a work around?

SIP, H323, PRI, BRI etc all support separating call signaling from the call audio. That makes it very very easy for engineers.

With analog, the tones are mixed in with the speech and at the same frequencies as human speech (historically it had to be done that way in order to survive transmission across all the analog PSTN network equipment of the early 1960s).

For mobile call control and similar features to work with analog, the IP Office would have to remain listening in to the call all the time, and be able to accurately and reliable pick out tones from all the other noise that is happening. I suspect it could be made to work - but only at the cost of a lot of additional components and processing power that the market wouldn't have accepted.

Voicemail also has to do the listening for DTMF tones trick, but does it with the help of a full PC processor, and still gets false positives from those people whose speech can match DTMF tones.

(the IP Office team could maybe have done something with passing analog calls through the voicemail server to do the tone detection and then tell the IP Office what digits had been pressed)

With the current kit I don't think it could be done, the IP Office code probably has a simple "analog trunk = no call control" logic switch. You would have to route your analog line to something like a SIP ATA that can do mid-call tone detection, if you can find one, and it doesn't result in too many false detections - and eventually you'd reach the point where it would be easier just to switch using full SIP trunks.

[I am older than public DTMF - that is slightly depressing]

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back