Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
Has anyone used CA's mobile backup? If so, what do you think about it?

Thanks in adavance,
Debi

Started using BrightStor Mobile Backup several months ago. Personally think it's a good way to get mobile users to back up important data. The remote user basically doesn't have to do a thing, once the backup is setup. We are using it here on approx. 15 remote users and it's working fine.

I have just installed a test version. Will use it with 12 notebooks. Is there a way I can install the programm on the c: drive, but all the backups on the e: drive?
How long would it take to backup the whole machine first time, then incrementally? Would that make sense in order to provide a possibility to always be able to restore a system?
Happy new year! Daniel

You may install it on one drive and point the backups to another drive. It generally does do incremental backups. The first time, based on the amount of info you select for backup certainly varies, as it's dependent on the quantity of data. We only backup the My Documents and sub folders, thereby pushing the user to consolidate and organize files. The first time out it generally takes about 10 - 15 minutes. From ther on out with the incrementals, its about a minute. The nice thing is it will do the backup, even if not connected to the network and then push it to the server when a connection is available.

Do you have to configure the backup path somewhere in the installation process, or can you do that later?
I searched and changed the registry entry, but that didn't work, and I coulnd't any ini-files.
Thanks, Daniel

I had the same issue. The server has a .ini file that you can change the location it places the backup. As per the Arcserve support person that I talked to, the client software will only place the backup into the install directory. So, I had to uninstall and re-install.

Good luck,
Debi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back