Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mobile ASP.NET app hangs up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBalcerzak

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
US
Hello -

Hoping someone might have an answer to this question. I've got a ASP.NET mobile app that I'm connecting to from a mobile device. The app works great when I'm running over a local IP address, but it hangs up when I run it over the internet. It doesn't make any sense to me at all and I'm at a loss as to why it the behavior is different.

Thanks,

Jeff

how is the page hanging up? errors, blank page, time outs?

if you are running the app local, or on a LAN latency isn't that much of an issue, because the through put is so high.

Over the internet things change:
1. where is server? firewalls, proxies, etc. will impact the connection.
2. connection speed. the page will only load as fast as the slowest pipe between the server and client.
3. page size. assuming webforms; viewstate left unchecked can create page bloat very quickly which can kill through put.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Hi Jason,

One server is in my office behind a firewall - other is in my office in Ohio behind another. Same behavior both places - works fine through regular browser over LAN or WAN, but with a couple of mobile devices, it just waits and waits for a server response when I click on a link or button. Now, I am able to navigate through some small pages just fine, but when I get to a page with a grid view on it that displays a list from a SQL Server, that's where it looses connection to the server when I try to do anything. I'm inclined to think it might be the viewstate you mentioned. Do you know how I turn that off, offhand? I don't know why that would be different on a LAN then over the internet anyway.

Thanks,
Jeff

You can set EnabelViewState = False for the grid.
Also, when displaying data in the grid, make sure you are not pulling and showing too much data at one time.

The LAN is going to be faster because it does not have as many "hops" to your device and you are incontrol of the servers, etc. Once on the internet, there are things you can't control and could cause slowdowns.

gridviews are notorious for bloating viewstate. you can enable or disable viewstate at the web.config, page and control level. I can't remember all the ramifications of disabling it.

if the page works between remote offices, but not on mobile devices the issue may not be viewstate though. how do users authenticate, if at all? how do they connect to the database? using a single account, or with integrated security?

again i would assume a connection problem would produce instant errors though, not hang.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Thanks - I'll disable viewstate on the grid and give it a try.

We're using forms authentication with a custom module that checks use credentials against a SQL Server database. That part works fine. Its just when I get to this page with the grid that it gets piggy, but what you guys have said sounds quite a bit like the behavior I'm experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back