Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

memcom

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
I want to be able to manage the Active Directory Users and Computers from my workstation using windows XP Pro. I have seen that If I am at the server that has AD installed, I can go to MMC and add the snap in for Active Directory Users and Computers, but I do not have this option on my XP Pro machine. Is it possible to add it to an MMC or is there another way to do it from my machine other than Remote Desktop to the server?

Thanks,
Michael Dean

That should be it.. I have XP and all the AD tools installed and i'm pretty sure this is it.. if it's not.. tell me and we'll hook up on ftp or somethin.. "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Might want to look at tightvnc. It's a remote admin tool. Free and works great. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
we ought to know a little about everything."
Blaise Pascal

Load adminpak from the Windows 2000 CD. You will find all the tools you need and is fully compatible with XP.

Skerdi
MCSE NT/2000

ABOUT TECHON'S REPLY: That will not work with XP!!! It installs find...try and run AD Users & Comps and it'll croak on ya... but hey, that's just from my experience.. "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Snootalope is right, I too had issues installing the win2k admin pack on my XP pro machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back