Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMC Settings Not Taking Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cismaxz

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
This is driving me crazy... I am trying to set up a XP image for our PC's. We are in a Novell environment using a dynamic local user policy. When I set up previous Windows 2000 machines I had no problems logging in as myself, setting up the PC then copying my profile over as the default user profile. Also all of the settings I made for the workstation in the MMC worked. On the XP machine when I make changes in the MMC (like add logoff to start menu, remove my documents from desktop etc...) the next time I reboot and log back in all of the settings are gone. Can anyone help me with this??

Also:

Also, your way of duplicating the Default Profile can lead to problems.

Watch out for:

You could be creating essentially the same issue. It affects a lot of XP features if the Administrator profile is being copied.

The approved fashion:

Best,
Bill Castner

Verify that local group policies are not disabled:

Open the Group Policy snap-in.
Double-click Computer Management.
Right-click Local Computer Policy.
Click to clear the Disable user configuration settings and Disable computer configuration settings check boxes.

I do not see this anywhere. Is this becuase we are not using AD?

Ok.. forget the last post I checked it and they were both unchecked. Is this just a problem in XP applying local policies on a PC that is not in a Domain or using AD?

I do not see the issue. By default the entries are for no settings.
This is the correct "lack of" setting in your instance.

So you are saying that they should be checked which would Disable computer configuration settings and user configuration settings?

No, I am saying that you should leave the settings along ("No Setting").

That is the default. If different, change it.

Your issue has nothing to do with this setting unless it was incorectly set. Your issue has to do with my earlier suggestions about Group Policy, and the difference between user and machine (computer) settings.

And how they can/or will not be, duplicated through the Default User.

This is not a Group Policy problem. Forum member cismaxz was referring to a very rare problem.

Your issue is in the duplication of the Administrator profile as the Default User profile, and I covered this in my first posting to you.

The settings are not working correctly even before copying the profile to the default user.

I logged in to the PC locally using the admin account. Made changes to the policy logged out, then logged in locally using my account. The settings were still there and everything worked fine. However when I logged back out and logged in to Netware all of the settings were gone again.

Client For Netware?

This was an older issue with the Netware Client for Windows. Upgrade from the Netware site.

Yes. We are using Novell Client 4.83 SP2 update E. I know 4.9 is out however I can not use it yet.

How does the logon occur?

Are you passing straight through to Windows at the same time, or is the logon to Windows a separate process from the Netware logon?

If you could too, check under Explorer the Permissions set on c:\windows\system32\Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back