Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MMC error

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamor1999

Technical User
Jun 26, 2001
US
---------------------------
Microsoft Management Console
---------------------------
MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

I have full permissions, and I do not doubt that the file was created by a later version of mmc. Now, I am having a very hard time finding a fix for this, short of doing an in place upgrade (which I'd rather avoid). After running the system file checker on my XP professional machine for another problem, I am receiving the following error when I attempt to open computer management by right clicking on 'My Computer' and selecting manage:

MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

This error occurrs when I try to access anything w/ a .msc extension even if I go directly to WINDOWS\system32 and launch from there.

However, if I launch 'mmc' from start/run and manually add the snap in for computer management, I have no trouble.

I have tried renaming the catroot2 directory and rebooting at the recommendation of others, but that didn't do much.

Sounds worth a try. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back