Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mls question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwanthome

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
CN
1. Does mls running only on cat6000,cat5000 and cat4000? How to implement l3 switching on cat3550 if it doesn't support mls?
2.What's difference between mls and cef ? Cat6000 support these functions both.Will cat6000 choose which type of technology when packet come in? cef or mls?
3.In my 6509,mls flow mask is Destination flow and my msfc2 is configured with extented ip access-list. I remember book <lan switching> writened by clark said 6509 will use destination&#8722;source flow if there is extented access-list. what's wrong with this?
any comment is appreciated! thanks!
Regards
Henry

2, MLS tracks the packets or streams of data. One packet enters and gets routed like normal(through access lists and everything) and then all following packets will get switched out the correct port.
I think, CEF works similar to MLS in that it chaches access lists choices. If you have both running, then a packet would create enteries in both caches, but it would get switched first before it got to the router, so CEF would be taking up extra memory.

3, I think there is a command to change what type of flow mask you use but I don't know it off the top of my head. Check on your router or cisco.com

If I'm wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me.

I got it from cisco.com.
CAT3550/CAT6000 with Sup2/MSFC2, CAT4000 with Sup3/4 uses CEF based forwarding. CAT6000 with Sup1/MSFC support MLS only

CEF is a enhanced implementation of MLS. With MLS, the first packet hits the router to get routed and then subsequent flows are hardware switched, but with CEF, even the first packet need not be routed by the router

so question 1 and 2 is resolved,And I will continue to investigate question 3 and hope find a answer.

thanks.

So your MLS is not working?
I'm just trying to understand your question.

I think MLS is working.If I &quot;show mls&quot; or &quot;show mls entry&quot;,it display normal.
So I can't understand why it is working normal even if mls flow mask is Destination flow and my msfc2 is configured with extented ip access-list.
This is my question.
thanks!

Have you originally configured extended access lists and set mls to &quot;destination&quot;, or was mls originally configured for &quot;destination&quot; mode and the access lists added later on?

Because if the latter is the case, then mls probably adjusted itself automatically, purged the cache and is working in IP-Flow mode.

If mls probably adjusted itself automatically,why it display &quot;IP Current flow mask is Destination flow&quot; ?
Does it running IP-FLOW mode internally and will not display this message for me ?
thanks!

I am new to the core switching I am a Cisco and Nortel voice guy CIsco 3 years and Nortel 11. I thought the MLS flow is controlled on the RP if you are running true MLS and the Flow is default Dest Flow on each Interface. You may be looking at the wrong int. I would research it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back