Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MLM backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strubbs

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2004
US
I have a Legend R7 with a 007 MLM. A power outage left us without voicemail. I ordered another 007 and moved the hard drive from the old card and it worked! My question is...is there any way to move the information from the old hard drive to the new one without having to start from scratch? I know these hard drives don't have a long life, and the one I am running on is making some strange noises.

There is no easy way to move the data from your old drive to a new one. However, you can connect to the MLM007 via the RS232 port using hyperterminal and get a printout of the programming settings - to make it easier to program the new drive. Unfortunately the existing messages will be lost and announcements, mailbox names, etc. will have to be rerecorded. If there are sector errors on your existing drive - it would not make sense to copy the same errors to a new drive (software and stored data would have to be copied simultaneously - there is no easy way to separate the two). While connected via hyperterminal you can perform a disk test to check for errors. If there are no errors, the drive could be copied to a fresh one - but it entails removing the old drive and sending it out to be copied - so you would be without voice mail in the interim.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Thanks for the info Tom

I have a laptop connected and it is now asking for a password. Is that just the serial number of the unit where the hard drive was originally? Also, how do I do those disk tests?

Yes, just the use the 6-digit serial# from the unit the drive came from. Once in - you will see a menu screen with a number of options. To test the hard drive or the port cards - you first need to choose the option to shut down the voice mail unit. So, do that first, then you can run the port and hard drive tests. After you finish wait for the menu screen to return and restart the voice mail system. Note: while the system is shut down it will not answer calls or allow messages to be retrieved. If the menu screen does not return, press "MM" for main menu.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Does the test take more than 15 minutes or so?

The disk test should take about 3 to 5 minutes. If you see any errors as it is going through each of the 900+ cylinders - then you probably already have some data corruption. The port test take about a minute per two ports (port card 1 = ports 1 & 2, port card 2 = ports 3 & 4, port card 3 = ports 5 & 6.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I am not having any luck with Hyperterminal. I entered the SN of the old module for the System Password. I also tried mm on a new line, but I can't get the menu. I have the connection set as 1200-8-n-1. Is there something else I am missing?

For the connection, you need to run a DB9 serial cable from your computer to the RS232 port on the Legend 007 MLM module. Hyperterminal parameters should be set to 1200-8-n-1 and set flow control to Xon/Xoff. Hit the enter key once and you should be prompted for the password. Input the 6-digit serial# from your "old" module (bottom of front tab) and you should see the menu screen pop up. If it does not pop up - it probably means that your hard drive had been replaced and the serial number not changed to match the module's serial#. In that case you are out of luck.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

No luck. The HD must have been replaced before. I am afraid I will have to set it up from scratch.

Thanks again for all the help
Cory

You could also check the serial # on the top back tab (curved piece) - it should match the one on the front bottom - but you never know. I would try that serial# as well...tomd

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I forgot to say - look at the LAST 6-digits of the serial# on the top back tab. If that does not work then contact me.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Is it possible to gather the information I would need through WinSPM?

No - the Legend 007 MLM does not transmit any serial# info. WinSPM will not give you configuration info for the voicemail. The only way to obtain that is as we discussed above. There is a menu choice for "Configuration" - which will printout all of the voicemail system's setup information - but you have to connect via the RS232 port. An alternative would be to connect via the MLM's internal modem - but you still need the 6-digit serial# password to see the menu.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back