Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML530 not "seeing" SmartArray 3200 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahwii

Technical User
Dec 8, 2005
US
I just rescued a ML530 from a closet. It had its drives used for other purposes. It power up fine and the SmartArray 3200 is recognized during powerup. I have returned one 18.2GB Compaq SCSI drive to the array cage. The other slots are empty. I am sure this was origally configured for RAID5.

SmartStart says that no ACUs were recognized, therefore I cannot configure the SmartArray. I was able to get latest BIOS/firmware on the ML530 and SmartArray (both 2002 dated). The SmartArray BIOS says on startup - 0 Logical drives found. Later, more BIOS startup messages say that no SCSI drives found. I presume this later message is because there are no SCSI drives on the motherboard scsi connectors.

I just tried erasing NVRAM thinking that the SMartArray is insisting on wanting a RAID 5 setup.

What to do? I cannot install W2KServer as no disks are present. I have tried adding an Adaptec SCSI card and drives to install Windows temporarily on that so I can run windows SmartArray tools, but no luck getting it to boot from these drives. So, I have no OS.

What to do? Recommendations? I really don't want to just toss this monster out!

thanks,

Have you done a System Erase from the SmartStart CD? Also what version of SmartStart are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Have not done a System Erase (didn't know such a capability existed and haven't stumbled across it in my many driver/sw downloads from hp.com support site.

I am using SmartStart 7.40 ISO image that I can boot from.

Should I do a "System Erase"? If so, is this a SmartStart feature or hidden elsewhere.

thanks,

Drew

Both HP Tech Support and I came up with the same idea:

Use an older version of SmartStart that specifically called out support for the SmartArray 3200. The 5.50 version did. I used that version instead of the current 7 version and all worked find.

So, I am now up and running.

thanks for your help!

Drew

Generally, the older G1 (sometimes G2) servers require SmartStart v5.5 and it is only the newer G3-G4 servers that are compatible with Smartstart v7.x

Glad to hear you are working :)

"It's true, its damn true!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back