Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML380 raid array setup problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryNelson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2007
GB
Recently bought ML380 G1, downloaded smartstart 5.5 cdrom, erased system with disk, re-setup from smartstart cd but when i select the drive array configuration from the menu, it says insert floppy & system will reboot but nothing happens after re-boot when i press f1 (to boot) or f10 (for system utils).

I created the drive array configuration floppy disks from the smart start cd. Looked at disk but it is not a dos bootable disk....

Its driving me mad! What am i doing wrong - all i want to do is setup my 2 scsi discs in mirror.

Thanks

Barry

Sorry it should say a DL380 not a ML380 server! (Cant find a way to edit my post..)

yes i have the latest bios, used the update maintenance disk

Does anyone know exactly how it should work when using the drive array configuration utility?

By the fact you mentioned you need to press F1 before you boot, this would indicate that there is an error or issue with the server during POST?

Do the disks definitely power up and does the controller actually see them?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

yes disks are seen - there is no raid parition - as this was wiped during erase procedure. Disks are ok as smartstart system paritiion has been written to them...

f1 is for bootup .. or f10 for system partition utils - surely f1 comes up as there is no boot partition on the disks..?

Valid point. But if the SmartStart partition has been created and written to and you can use it via F10 during POST, surely the disks must be configured in some sort of configuration (whether that be RAID or other)?

Have you actually tried booting off an OS disk (such as Windows Server 2003 or even XP) to see whether any disk partitions can be seen during a setup process?

currently they are setup as 2 seperate disks. xp wont install as i have not found a scsi raid driver for it. Obviously what i am after is to get the disks mirrored & then install the os.

Just cant understand why the compaq raid config wont work.. Is it ment to boot somehow off the raid config floppy disks?

What array controller do you have installed.

This is how the SmartStart should work when you boot off of it:

1. Choose language
2. Agree to license (reading the entire license agreement first, of course. ;)
3. Select Maintain Server
4. Select Configure Array
5. Select Array controller (top left)
6. Select Array controller (middle)
7. Select Create Array
8. Choose the drives you want for the array. (When you select a drive the light on the front of the drive should turn on.)
9. Select Create Logical drive - choose RAID level and drive size
10. Select Spare Management - Select spare (If the physical drive sizes are all the same, you can use the same spare for both arrays; the RAID1 and the RAID5.)
11. Repeat steps 7-10 for all the arrays you want to create
12. Exit ACU
13. Exit & Reboot (pull the smartstart CD and boot off of the Windows CD)

it looks like: Integrated Smart Array Controller
LSI Logic® Integrated SYM53C1510 , SCSI-2

have erased system partition again, installed smartstart 5.5 & your step 3 does not come up. Get "select desired smartstart path" - where you can choose assisted, replicated or manual configuration (for installing an OS)..

If I understand you correctly and you have the option to choose assisted, replicated or manual configuration, you want to choose manual configuration.

Sorry, the steps I have above are from a newer version of the SmartStart CD. I knew they would be a little different, but I thought it would be close enough to get you through.

have tried the manual config - ACU does not run via that route

Are the disks definitely connected to the integrated RAID controller and not the internal SCSI bus? Check the cabling internally in the server to confirm.

i can only see 2 scsi ports on the motherboard, scsi int port 1 & scsi int port 2..

The disk array/caddy is plugged into port 1, port 2 just has a cable & terminator on it.

Is scsi port 1 the raid port?

Check out the link below which is the Maintenance and Service doc for the DL380 G1 (you want page 4-4) just to make sure your connections are ok:

Also, the internal drives should be connected to SCSI Port 2 according to the Support Manual (page 4-2 amongst others):

Ok, found the problem looking at the diagrams, the small raid addin board is missing from the motherbaord! Explains it all, thought i was going mad!

When i bought the server it was advertised as having intergrated raid but obviously someone has removed the board - explains why the disks were recognised & usable but the raid utility would not work...

Thanks for all your help!

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back