Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 on-board SCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I have a ML370 server which I want to attach an external DLT autoloader to.

The DLT is an IBM piece of kit which I have aquired from a sister site which came with all the cables for it including the termination plug.

When I power down the server and attach the SCSI cable and power on there is a 'System halted' message apears on the screen.

Am I right in that the on board SCSI uses auto terminating cables and is not compatable with the older orginal style of cable, will I need to get a normal SCSI card to insert into the server or do you think buying newer cables will work with the external device?

Thanks

Jonathan

I think you have to check, where the termination point is.
In the system partition you can terminate the SCSI-Port, you can terminate the external device or the cable.

When the SCSI port is terminated, your device ca not work.
Terminate the device !

What happened is if there is another SCSI device hanging of the internal channel A then you cannot use the external port, so by moving the internal DLT onto channel B I was then able to reconnect the external DLT and it came up first time.

Rember you can not attach a DLT to an array controller this may be part of your problem. you could test this by putting a standard SCSI controller in and testing the DLT off that.

The SCSI port on the back of the server is SCSI port 1, and inside the server has a SCSI port 1 and 2. If you are you cannot use the scsi port 1 inside and use the external port at the same time, because you create double termination. You can only attach to the internal port 2 and the external port at the same time.
Keeping this in mind, what port are you connected to inside the server. The port towards the BIOS battery is 2 and away is 1.
Hopefully this helps.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back