Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 G1 - Which SmartStart For Windows 2003 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renne2005

Technical User
Jan 22, 2005
US
I have a ML370 G1 - Which SmartStart supports both the ML370 G1 and Windows 2003? Thanks.

Renne

Oh I hate it when this happens ... If I would have done a search sooner I would have seen a post that says Smartstart 5.5 will do WIN2003 on a ML370. Thanks.

Renne

Renne ... SS 5.50 will not do 2003. It will do 2000. Just use 5.50 and do a manual integrated installation. At the end, put in your 2003 media and install. When you are done, just run the PSP 7.10 for 2k3 and you are at about the same place you would have been if 5.50 did 2k3.

Cheers,

- LC

Sorry for being a dumbass but how do you do a manual assisted install without selecting an OS?

Andy

you select the manual option
this basically configs the array and that sa bout it
then you restar with the os cd

you may be asked for a few drivers but 2003 on a 370 should be ok

When I try this method the system hangs at the blue Setup screen during the Win2003 install.

I think you need to download the SCSI & Raid Controller drivers and press F6 as setup starts so you can specify additional disk controller drivers.

It worked for me anyway.

Andy

no it picks everything up ok on a g1 - tried it the other day out of curiosity - but the driver disk isnt going to do any harm

you need to make sure the firmware on the server is up to date ish - as remeber when a g1 came out 2000 was still in the late but coming soon stage and 2003 was only in the coming in 3 - 4 years at a ......

My G1 is doing the same thing. It gets to the SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS spot during the initial setup, and just stops.

Things I've tried:
- 3 different Windows 2003 Server disks
- 2 different Windows 2000 Server disks
- downloaded Windows 2000 SA driver disk (which is missing a file)
- downloaded Windows 2003 SA driver disk (although Windows Server 2003 has a newer version)
- downloaded the firmware update CD and updated everything it found
- downloaded the SmartStart 5.50 CD
- blew away the array and recreated it in different sizes
- even swapped out the CD-ROM drive when it started acting flaky.

Same thing happens everytime. It just gets to that point and stops - regardless of whether it's a Win2k or Win2k3 CD. No other issues up to that point (even before I updated everything).

Interestingly enough, I don't have any problems loading things on a Proliant 800.....

Usually with old servers I install 2000 then upgrade to 2003.
From there I will find any support packs, patches, and updates that should be loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back