Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML370 G1 array config

Status
Not open for further replies.

newBPhoneGuy

Technical User
Dec 12, 2005
US
i have a ML370 G1 with windows 2000 and a 431 smartarray right now there is only one array configures with 2 drives

one drive has a logical drive on it and the other says unused space i want to remove the drive with the unused space from the array completely is this possible and how would i go about doing it

i thought i could just pull it since its not assigned to anything and theres nothing installed on it but when i just pull it...it crashes the system to a blue screen with some error i will get back to you with the error soon but if you have any advice with out the error it would be great

thanks in advance

If you want to achieve this, you will most likely have to rebuild the server. Your server configuration sounds like it is configured in such a way so that both disks are in one logical volume - this basically means for example that two 18Gb disks will look like one 36Gb disk to your operating system. With this in mind, if you remove one disk, it is like removing half a hard disk.

Maybe if you could clarify your disk configuration further, we may be able to offer alternative solutions.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

as of right now the configuration goes as follows

no drive on integrated controller

we have a smat array 431 with one array configured when i go into hp array config utility it shows :

Parallel SCSI Array A
Logical Drive 1 (17359, Raid 0)
Unused space (17362)

the physical drives are located in slot 0 and slot 2

thanks for the comments Lad imi guessing im going to have to reinstall os all over again cause like we said on that other post i dont think there in an option to completey remove the disk from an array ":(

if the array is setup to raid 0 then you are stripping data across both drives.

Parallel SCSI Array A
Logical Drive 1 (17359, Raid 0)
Unused space (17362)

of that 17359 that is used for the logical approximately half is on one drive and half is on the other.

If you just want to use the unused space you will need to create a second logicalk partition and format.

If you want to remove the drive then you will have to rebuild the system

"For those that have had to fight for it, Freedom has a bitter taste the protected shall never savor" Unknown Author.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back