Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML350 noise levels, suitable for open plan office?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
I've never purchased an ML350 before so i'm just wondering if one can be installed in an open plan office without making everyone go deaf!

How loud are they at normal room temperature? close to silent or just bearable? I've used lots of ML310s and they are really quiet and that's what i'm aiming for.

Thanks
Paul.

Paul,

I never recommend putting a server in an open area for several reasons. Two of them being:

1. Its too easily accessible for anyone. Logins and passwords don't prevent physical damage (even accidental) or power cords from being unplugged.

2. Environmental controls for people are not necessarily good for the server. Likewise the server needs proper air flow. Usually servers put in open areas are jammed into corners where air flow is horrible.

That being said, sometimes we have no other options.

We had a ML350 with the optional 3 power supply kit. It wasn't any louder than the rest of our servers, but as far as too loud for a work environment, I don't know. It was in our data center, so I never had a chance to hear what it sounded like on it's own.

Your work environment plays a big factor in it. If your work area has no ambient noise at all, then I would almost guarantee that it would be too loud. So, unless a server is whisper-quiet, only you can be the judge of whether or not it's too loud for your environment.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks for the reply Blister. I completely agree with your comments above. the server is to be an SBS for 15 users. Unfortunately they have no dedicated room for it so it's got to go in the main office.

Thanks for your commends anyway!

Paul

It will save on a heating bill in the cold weather :) but you also have to ensure that the server doesn't overheat in the hot weather. To reiterate Blister's point 2, cold air in the front pumps hot air out the back.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

To have to bear in mind that any assumptions about the noise of the server are based on being stored in a static and cool temperature location. Depending on the temperature of your office (bearing in mind that the more people in the office, the hotter it could be), your server may operate louder as the fans ramp up to cool it better.

"Insert funny comment in here!"

I too read the PC Pro piece - sounds great until you factor in 6 months of carpet dust in the filters, thousands of files splattered across the drives, everyone in the office reading/writing/surfing/mailing and all of a sudden it is quite the mouse-like hush it first was.

I'm always very dubious about putting ML's out in the office area. Plus,it'll through heat out like an old cast iron radiator!

It's not been purchased yet as the project has been postponed for a month or two so i'm yet to find out what it's like in "real life".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back