Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML330 Hot Swap Power Supplies Not Hot Swapping Perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewAOS

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2011
US
Hi Everyone!
My name is Matthew. I am having a problem with a client's computer. We have two 750W power supplies hooked up redundantly in this server. When both power supplies are plugged in it works fine. If I unplug either of the supplies from the wall it still works fine. The redundancy kicks in exactly like it should. If I pull the power supply from "slot 2" then it works fine also, the power supply in slot one picks it up the slack. The problem occurs when we remove the power supply from "slot 1". It does not matter which power supplies are in the slot, the result is the same. If someone can shed some light on the situation I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Part number of the server: 600911-001
Part number of the Power Supplies: 508544-001

I see that in order to have redundant power you need to have the Redundant Power Supply Enablement Kit (508544-B21) Do you have it? It also looks like the part number for the 750W power supplies is: 512327-B21.

Confirm you have the redundant power kit. Obviously something is up with power supply bay 2. If you have the kit, try reseating the power supply in bay 2 and any other adapter boards that may connect it to the system board.

Here is a diagram for the wiring. You could also check that as well.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

We do have the Kit (508544-B21). Thanks for the diagram. We are to the point where we are thinking it is something to do with the "kit" or the bios. We plan to check this during our next scheduled "downtime". Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back