Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ML330 G2 - Windows 2003 not installing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggz

MIS
Oct 5, 2007
GB
Guys,

Please help!

I have a Compaq ML330 G2 server which, has a RAID 0 IDE array. The array is active and initialised. When I boot from Win 2003 cd it installs but after first reboot ("Your machine will be rebooted in 15 seconds...") the server just hangs at booting from the freshly installed partition.

Just sits there..does nothing.

Any ideas? Is it not seeing the array despite installing to it? Am i missing something

Any help would be helpful

Try reinstalling...looks like it my not have copied all the files very well...is the CD scratched? I had a DL380 G3 do the same thing, and the cd was scratched. One clue is if it hangs while trying to copy certain files during the file-copying process...

Burt

That doesnt seem to be the case. I have used SmartStart 5.5 in order to erase and then manually configure (using Other OS)

Testing with Win2k3 install now..fingers crossed.

Me again...that didn't work...it's just hanging at the "Setup is starting Windows" screen now.

Any ideas? I've read that some servers require a certain OS to be selected in the SmartStart setup....but Other was the best choice according to the other posts I've read.

Confused!!! - Help please

I don't think SmartStart 5.x will load 2003...have you tried without smart start just to see if windows even loads? I would still suspect a bad windows cd...

Burt

It's not a bad Windows CD...i've tried 2003 and 2000 CD's all to no avail. I use smartstart to prep the system and have now tried Windows 2000...it doesn't hang now it simply says "no hard drives can be found...installation cannot continue"

I have installed the correct drivers (Megaraid 4i IDE)so I'm stumped again.

If I can't get 2003 on, 2000 will do for now

Anymore help please?

I would go into the SmartStart config and check that the boot order is correct. For now, I would suggest choosing your CD Drive as first and your RAID controller as 2nd (maybe select the RAID controller first if that is unsuccessful).

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Hi - just an update. It turns out it was the driver. Perhaps the two drivers I downloaded and tried were incorrectly labelled. Anyway...the 3rd one I tried allowed the OS to see the logical driver (the array) and job done....just some AD issues to clear up now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back