Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mksysb??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi guys,

Got a question about a mksysb, I create one using SMIT, and the process goes without errors. However when I try to varify its contents, I get " The archive is not in backup format." What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help :)

GEE, I feel so silly. I was using the smit, SYSTEM STORAGE MANAGER, FILES AND DIRECTORIES, LIST CONTAETS OF A BACKUP.
a mksysb creates an image not actual files. did a listvgbackup -f'/dev/rmt0' and they showed up nicely

Thanks a lot though, yet set me on the right track

sheepishly,
micheal

are you using the same machine drive (tape drive) in veriying the backup? maybe you may want to check the "blocksize":

smit->devices->tape drive->change/show characteristics of a tape device

- select appropriate tape device

AIX 4.3.3 default is 1024 ??
AIX 4.2.1 default is 0 ??

Just in response to johnny2001 - the other way to check tape block size is to use

lsattr -El rmt#

Change block size using...

chdev -l rmt# -a block_size=<BLOCK_SIZE>

To retrieve this information from the mksysb tape

cd /tmp
tctl -f /dev/rmt#
chdev -l rmt# -a block_size=512
restore -s2 -xqdvf/dev/rmt#.1 ./tapeblksize
cat ./tapeblksize

Hope its useful.
Cheers,
Dave V.

It's simple michealclark. The files and contents of a MkSysB tape are in the fourth section of tape. In the first tape file you'll find a boot image, you can't list it with restore or similar commands.
I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back