Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mksysb via nfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 13, 2006
IT
Hi to all,

am trying to do mksysb's via nfs,someone knows the exact commands.

Thanks to everybody.

Something along the lines of
Code:
mount backuphost:/images /mnt 
mksysb -ie /mnt/$(uname -n).$(date +%y%m%d)
umount /mnt

Have you thought of using NIM?

Ceci n'est pas une signature
Columb Healy

Thanks for the suggestion.

Have read something speaking of the service NIM but I don't know what is!!
I manage some servers 4.3 and I don't even know as to verify if it is present or less.

If you will want to give me some suggestion I could try us.

Thanks.

in case your mksysb is going to be > 1GB ;-) you will probably have to increase file size limit (for example: ulimit -f 4000000) before mksysb command is started

I have tried that command but me from immediately a WARNING:
does not appear to be a tape device and will NOT have a bootable image.

And instead i need a rescue of boot disk.

What i can do?

this is only warning. You'll be able to boot or install a system from this image via NIM.

to create bootable you should perfrom mksysb on tape or dvd.

there is probalby posibility to create mksysb dvd iso image on disk and then write it on dvd. if you have a dvd writen on your system create mksysb direct on dvd

Hi

Only problem of using a disk for mksysb image is that in case of a system crash, how are you going to use that disk based image to restore your system? Only way is to use a NIM server and boot your damaged system from this NIM server restoring the image.

NIM comes free with AIX and just need to be configured. IN AIX 4.3.3 is just a little more difficult than with newest version of AIX 5L, but it can be done.

What i have done is to burn the image taken to a DVD RAM and use this one to clone or restore another servers.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back