Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mksysb on LPARs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag0007

MIS
Feb 15, 2005
US
Just got 2 systems with LPARs. How do you guys maintains mksysbs with it? I would like to create a mksysb daily. And move the image to a alternate server, and I would like to do this for 1 week.

Can I restore a system using HMC and the mksysb image? What is the recommend way of doing this? Any advice? Suggestions?

TIA!

I am doing such backups on remote machine over NFS filesystem.

Restoring such image is quite easy from NIM server.

To get LPAR console you can use either HMC GUI or mkvterm from HMC shell accessing it via ssh.

okay. So you perform a mksysb on system A and move the image to another system, system B via NFS. Lets pretend that you need to restore system A. How would you do that? Do I have to have NIM? Can I just create a new LPAR (same specs as system A), and use a panel on the HMC to restore the image for the new LPAR?

TIA!

HMC does not provide an install source for the LPARs - it only manages the attached servers: create/alter LPARs, provide a console virtual terminal, update/upgrade server microcode (not OS!), perform call-home function in case of HW/SW problem...

For installation of OS on LPAR, you need to use whatever you choose as best solution. NIM is fine, but there's no reason not to install from CDROM or DVD e.g. if there's only a few partitions to do and you don't already have a NIM server.

For instance, if you have a tape drive or a DVD-RAM drive in the server, and you can DLPAR-move it around all your partitions, and then a mksysb or mkcd to physical media can help you along. If you want to automate the whole process, then I guess NIM is a prerequisite...

There are quite a few redbooks on LPAR systems - check 'em out first. Don't jump in at the deep end - I took an IBM course before I got my hands on the servers... Regatta systems first and then p5 systems.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks p5!

I have been looking at the rebooks, can't really find lots of info about mksysb and LPARs....can you direct me to the RB number?

TIA!

You could also make bootable mksysb images on CDROM. Drop the images to an NFS filesystem. If you need to restore your system, copy the images to your PC, rename them with a .iso extension and use burnatonce (or another program) to create the cdroms.

I never install from a CD unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise NIM (or the SP2 -wrapped NIM) works great. If you have more than a few servers, why use CDs when it isn't necessary?

How hard is it to setup something like this:

mksysb daily, and move to a server (I can script this), but the hard part is set up a NIM server and use my mksysb. I have been reading Redbooks, but I need a simple step by step howto for this...The Redbooks just have too many "you can" or "what ifs"

NIM is easy to setup. There is an EZ-NIM setup in SMIT.

I would setup a NIM Master on a current server or a new micro partition and then export NFS directories from the nim server to the client lpars and take mksysb's to file (over NFS).

We use CDs for DR. While a nim server can be easy to setup initially, problems may be encountered if you have to support several different AIX versions and several maintenance levels from a single nim server. Can it be done? Absolultely! I just find that in a true disaster situation, it is easier to create a few CDs, run to the DR site, and restore the servers.

A nim server is a MUST if you want to (and are able to) automate standard patch updates and OS installs. In a controlled environment it is even a good server for restores. I, unfortunately, am not in a controlled environment.

NIM is still the standard, but we use alt_install_vg's for Regattas and P5's. Why ? Well, it so easy now to swap disks on these large systems - keep a lpar in a system and alt_vg it. Then we keep our mksysimages on an NFS. If a system needs restored - we diag down the disks so we can remove, then slam them into the dead lapr, one side that is, start lpar, one i comes up we config the networking mount the nfs , copy over the faile and update the other disks with the mksysbfile as an alternate rootvg, reboot and done. Can be faster than nim sometimes, depending. Still if you have to reinstall remotely - NIM is a must.

well, another solution is that you can do cloning of your system to another disk on lpar_A anytime you want, then using your hmc, reallocations ,AIX reduce vg and other commands,you can just bring up another LPAR_B and use the clone disk to be your system OS. And this is the fastest solution i think. I ve done this one couple of times, and unbelievable, you'll appreciate the wonders of LPAR and HMC, specially AIX.
thanks!

I am new on NIM server. Do you have a procedure step by step on how to setup a NIM server and a NIM client?

Thanks, Paul

The AIX 5L Version 5.3 Installation Guide and Reference has a pretty good section on nim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back