Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mksysb install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marksmen

Technical User
Feb 4, 2003
US
I am trying to install an f40 sp cws with an 5.1 mksysb image from another f40 sp cws. The new machine has more disk space as well as memory so that we can upgrade it to AIX 5.2. Each time I do the install it hangs on a c52 led with 83% complete and 95 minutes used saying it is "mounting over /". The whole process stops and does not acquire any more time either. If I try to shut it down and reboot it simply boots to the logo screen with the keyboard, speaker and memory icons and then recycles in an endless loop. I can boot in maintenance mode and the root vg seems to be on the disk I tried to install to. I have tried different install disks and made another mksysb but with the same results. Anyone seen this before?

Display Value c52
Explanation Changing from RAM environment to disk environment.
System Action The system is setting up devices in the disk environment.
User Action If this LED persists, the disks may not be accessible. Run hardware diagnostics on the target disks. Go to "Hardware Diagnostics" in in AIX Problem Solving Guide and Reference.

Just for peace of mind I did a clean install of AIX 5.1 from CD and it worked fine. This leads me to think it isn't a disk problem but I could be wrong.

I have a idea (and it worked before).
put this disk which in new F40 in CWS F40,(they has hot swap backplane, easy to do it).
Make a VG on this disk then export it (for clean disk).
Move this disk back to new F40, then restore again .
(I sugest you boot from OS CD,then restore tape)
It may solve your problem.

F40 has not 64 bit processor ? But to install Aix 5.2 the hardware must have a 64 bit processor, isn't it ?

F40/F50 is 32 bit CPU, That is right.
AIX5L has 32/64 bit mode,it can be installed on a 32bit machine.
Both Marksmen's source/target machine are F40. So we do not need worry about 32/64 bit.
But my concernt is some change of hardware such as CPU/adapter and so on.
so I sugget he boot from CDROM with AIX 5.1 CD.
And then restore tape.
This will cover some hardware cheangs.

I have already tried booting from the 5.1 cd and then doing the restore and it hangs on the c52 led.

Hi,

Was in your OLD system the rootvg mirrored. ??

best regards.

The rootvg is not mirrored on the mksysb source machine. The mksysb source system has 2 4.5GB drives that are both used for rootvg. The rootvg is about 8 GB in size. When the mksysb was created we used an exclude.rootvg file to exclude some of the larger /spdata/sys1/install directories to get the mksysb down to a size that would fit on a 5 GB tape.

Uh, usually /spdata is on its own filesystem.

Anyway, your error is in Boot Phase 2; the root file system from rootvg (disk) is mounted over the root file system from the RAMFS. The mount points for the rootvg file systems become available. /var and /usr file systems from the rootvg can be mounted again on their ordinary mount points.

What does your image.data file look like on the source system?

Did you clean new disk before restore rootvg?
>put this disk which in new F40 in CWS F40,(they has hot swap backplane, easy to do it).
>Make a VG on this disk then export it (for clean disk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back