Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixing version of Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaT

Programmer
May 16, 2002
US
We are a bit behind and all of our access databases were created using Access 2003 and are being run using either Access Runtime 2000 or 2003. I have a department that runs several of these programs. Each program is it's own .mdb but they all link to tables in another .mdb, a client list, that all the databases share. So my question is this: I am about to build another database for this department that will also link to the client list. I don't have the time to convert all of the databases in the department to Access 2010 at the same time. If I build this new database in Access 2010 will there be any problems linking to the tables in the client list or possibly linking to some of the other databases tables if they remain in Access 2003. I'm thinking no because I'm just linking to tables.

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

I'd expect no problems but it is not like I've done it either.

I can tell you I've had no problems using all MDB solution in Access 2010 and Access 2007 (front end and back end). I had no problems having forked front ends one Access 97 and one Access 2000 compatible when I did a slow role out of 2003 from 97 back in the day with a 97 backend (back when Office versions could co-exist without reinstalling every time you used the other version). If you use an ACCDB frontend and an MDB backend, I don't know for sure, it is after all a change from JET to ACE.

And now for something off topic... The real problem is designing objects with the Ribbon... You eventually get used to it but is evil (not better). Something I wished I knew and might make the transition easier, if you hover on the ribbon with your mouse, then press and hold the ALT key, the scroll wheel can be used to navigate the Ribbon tabs faster than just moving the pointer. Unfortunately I have learned the way of clicking the Ribbon tabs and do it on autopilot. BTW I like the ribbon in Word and Excel... That scroll wheel trick might save you enough time to make it only a little worse to use in the long run (steep learning curve).

Thanks for your response and for the tip. I'll have to try that.

Melissa
Designing Access databases since 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back