Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixed network: bridge in wired and wireless cards and crossover cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSparc

Programmer
Sep 18, 2009
PT
Hello guys,
I'm trying to configure my mixed network scenario as can be seen in attachment diagram.
I have a wireless ADSL router (192.168.0.1) for access to Internet in a floor and two computers together in other place. One PC run XP (PC_XP) (192.168.0.2) with two network cards: wireless and wired Ethernet.
The second PC run Solaris (PC_SUN) (192.168.0.3) and has only a wired Ethernet card connected to PC_XP using a crossover cable.

The PC_XP works fine using Internet.
The problem is that I can't share internet to PC_SUN.
I made a bridge in PC_XP using both cards, but same result.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, gateways definition, routing, dns. All IP are defined manually, I'm not using DHCP.
Also I tried to assign an IP to the bridge (192.168.0.4) but it has no resolve..

Someone with a similar experience can help me to put it running?

Thanks in advance.

See if this means anything to you?

"By default, Solaris runs an FTP server daemon when you boot your system. You can use any system on your local network that has Internet access to download the files, and then use your FTP program (using your Solaris system's IP address for the "Host" setting in the FTP program) to transfer the downloaded files to it. Note that you cannot use the "root" ID to access your Solaris system via FTP. You'll have to create a separate user account for yourself and use that in the FTP program".

See the other links on that page.

See the Sun: Solaris Forum too.

on the Solaris OS, set the Win Box as GATEWAY, if that does not help then read on:

Sharing Internet Connection using WiFi (Windows XP)

and then there is always a commercial (read: one has to pay) solution:

WiFi Sharing Manager 1.0 (Windows)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Hi, In first place, thank you to all that send suggestions to try resolve the problem. Now it's working, and I wrote a mini-how to for the people that it can help in the future.
How I resolved this question:

I will start setting a IP for the router: 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.
I had disabled DHCP Server of router in order to better understand what I'm doing, and use static IP for each network card.

Next, in Windows the wireless card I set an static IP, and define as gateway the IP router:
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Same for the Ehernet (wired) card:
IP Address: 192.168.0.3

The next step is make a bridge between both cards. Select both cards using Ctl key, right button and select "Bridge".

Now we need to assing also an static IP for this brige. This IP is “seen” by the router and Solaris box as the IP of the Windows box:

IP: 192.168.0.4

As you can seen, the Gateway is always the IP router.
From Windows box make sure that you have Internet connectivity browsing the web or simply doing a ping to
Next it's time to configure Solaris box.

First, you need set an static IP. The easy way (for me) to reconfiguring the network settings is using the command sys-unconfig.
This command will unconfig a solaris box back to its original state. It takes you back to the original setup for the network settings for the box.
When reboot you will be prompted for the ip address, default route, etc. just as if you were re-installing the operating system.
Note that you doesn't loss information, simply the initial settings are cleared and you can reconfigure.

In my case this is a Sun ultrasparc box running Solaris 10 and the network card interface is called eri0. The steps to reconfigure:

Networked: Yes
Use DHCP: No
Host name for eri0: sunbox
IP address for eri0: 192.168.0.5
System part of a subnet: Yes
Net mask for erio: 255.255.255.0
Enable Ipv6 for eri0: No
Default Route for eri0: Specify one
Router IP Address for eri0: 192.168.0.1

Kerberos security:No (It is not a network connection related setting)
Name service: DNS
Domain name: local
DNS Server's IP address: 192.168.0.1
The rest of settings are not related with network...

We can see that default router is OK:

cat /etc/defaultrouter

netstat -rn
default 192.168.0.1

Show resolv servers:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.0.1

DNS host configuration (make sure that "dns" appear in hosts line:
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files dns

Local hosts file:

cat /etc/inet/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.5 sunbox loghost

We can add in this file our xp box name to make resolution by name:
192.168.0.4 winbox

reboot...

ping is alive

We have Internet guys!!

I've created a new user on Solaris (by default is not allowed login in remote as root) and from the Win box now I'm able to use Putty for SSH shell connection to login into the Sun box IP and run fine.

This is the end :)

I hope that this explanation can help to another people trying to run a similar network configuration.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back