Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mixed Mode vs Native

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharyn

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
US
I am currently running in Mixed Mode, and have been for quite some time.

I have no more nt4.0 BDC's and am about to get rid of the rest of my win98 workstations.

I know, theoretically, I should change to Native Mode, but I havent been able to come up with a good reason why.

Also, we still use Network Neighborhood for browsing. What will happen to that once I go to Native Mode?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to running in Native??

Anyone have any links to some good articles addressing this?

Thanks!
Sharyn

Thanks, Jim.

I did read this already, I was hoping for some articles about any "hidden" problems that have been encountered.

Looking at the date of this article (1999) I am guessing this was written about the way Native Mode is "supposed" to work.

I was just wondering if there were any nasty surprises waiting for me, that wouldn't have been experienced yet, back when that article was written.

Sharyn

native mode is generally more secure. In my mind, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it works for you, don't change it...

What happens if someone comes in with a 98 laptop down the road?

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

We only allow company issued laptops to connect to the network and there are no more running win98.(thank goodness)

I'm still trying to figure out what happens to network neighborhood if there is no Master Browser.

Anyone?

Someone coming in with a 98 laptop after the domain has been switched to native mode is irrelevant. Mixed and native mode only deals with domain controllers.

A 98 machine with the AD client will work the same in mixed or native mode. It will use NTLM v2, have site awareness, and will have a DFS client. 98 clients will not support kerberos or group policy, no matter which mode the domain is in.

If you have a 2000 domain, the DC IS the master browser. That won't change.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Just to ease your mind, we went from Mixed to Native a while ago and it was a big non-event. We still have 98 PC's (only a couple) and NT4 machines and browsing is not affected. We have 7 sites and multiple DC's so it had us a little uneasy when I flipped the switch as well. There are no disadvantages to running in Native mode that I have found. We haven't looked back. Go for it!

This makes sense if you remember that Windows 2000 clients require the Kerberos protocol for a domain logon, and Windows NT 4.0 BDCs obviously cannot service such requests.

Thanks Folks!

Everyone is basically saying the same thing here.

I will probably flip the switch within the next few weeks.

Sharyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back