Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mix full and partial backup in one job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacely

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
US
Howdy,

I have a differential GFS backup with ArcServe2k.

I have one folder on which I would like to run a full backup every night. One option is to run a full backup on all folders each night. Another option is to run two jobs and make sure someone is around to switch tapes between jobs.

Is it possible to set up a single job with full backup on some folders and differential backup on others?

TIA,

Sean

Hi,
Why don't you run 2 jobs, as you suggest, but don't eject the tape after the first job? It should then append the 'full backup' information onto your 'Differential' backup (or vice versa, depending on the order you run your jobs!)
Hope this is useful.
cdav

cdav,

The issue with running two jobs involves the media pools. The first job moves the tape into the save set, and it becomes unavailable to the second job.

Actually I think once a tape is in a media pool, whether in a save set or scratch set, it is only available to the job associated with that pool. So the second job would have to run when someone was around to switch tapes.

Is it possible to have two jobs working off the same media pool?

Thanks,

Sean

:-( Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can help you any further as I don't use media pools!
And it was such a good idea too!

Spacely,

Unfortunatly you can not use the built in GSF rotation scheme and have two different jobs using the same media pool. I also was trying to do this, running a differential during the week and trying to do full backup of Exchange. This came straight from Arcserve Tech. support. You could create another job and send it to another backup device and run them simultaniousley. Or like I be forced to create your own custom jobs and not use media pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back