Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiVoice Border Gteway

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfilak

IS-IT--Management
Mar 4, 2014
US
We have found quite a bit of information in Tek-Tips regarding the Mitel MiVoice Border Gateway and have a few application questions.
Thanks to all for the helpful posts.
Currently, we have a remote site with a 3300 and 20 phones connected via VPN over cable modem to our main location.
Any calls between the remote and main locations suffer badly from latency.
My questions are:
Is it worth evaluating the MBG with it's ability to allow for latency and packet loss?
Would the 3300 at the remote site serve any purpose with MBG in place?
How much does the configuration change for the handsets that are now setup on the 3300 when switched to teleworker?
Thank you.

Lowell Filak

Is it worth evaluating the MBG with it's ability to allow for latency and packet loss?
Yes, I have run into this many times as the firewall restrictions over the VPN are usually much more stringent than those headed to the internet. You can try making firewall exceptions for the IP Phones over the VPN as this has helped me in the past
Would the 3300 at the remote site serve any purpose with MBG in place?
No, MBG would be redundant if there is a local controller
How much does the configuration change for the handsets that are now setup on the 3300 when switched to teleworker?
Not at all on the 3300 side setup. On the set side, you need to statically assign a public IP for the MBG.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

kwb
Think there was a typo or 2

"No, MBG would be redundant if there is a local controller"
Should have been remote MCD would be redundant

"Not at all on the 3300 side setup. On the set side, you need to statically assign a public IP for the MBG. "

The users would need to be configured on the other controller ( may require licenses to be purchased unless they can be moved)
Their actual configuration could be replicated on the main contoller.

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

MBG/Teleworker is not required for phones if a local MCD is in place (office).
Teleworker is for remote users where there is a Broadband ADSL/cable modem connection.
An MCD is still required with MBG/Teleworker the MBG handles the internet transmission better, and is more secure as it is also a firewall.
The phones will need to set with the MBG internet IP address, and configured on the MBG to allow them to work there are no changes to the MCD.

Questions:-
Is it worth evaluating the MBG with it's ability to allow for latency and packet loss? Yes this what the MBG is for
Would the 3300 at the remote site serve any purpose with MBG in place? Yes the MCD is still required for Teleworker
How much does the configuration change for the handsets that are now setup on the 3300 when switched to teleworker? Teleworker is configured and enabled on the MBG, and the phones will need the Internet IP address of the MBG to be programmed.

Hope this helps.

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Have you tried running compression on calls between the sites?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Anyone else and you need to throw it harder.

LoopyLou,
It look like G.722.1 is set.
The link is 50Mbps/5Mbps and the MRTG graphs are showing next to nothing on usage.

I did not read that as having a 3300 at the remote site. I read it as having a 3300 and phones connected to the 3300 via a VPN to the remote site.

I did not read that as having a 3300 at the remote site. I read it as having a 3300 and phones connected to the 3300 via a VPN to the remote site.

There is a 3300 at both sites.

OK so if there are two systems and you want to improve voice quality?
What is the bandwidth of this link? have you got any QoS setup on this link?
If the bandwidth is quite small then you could consider compression or xnet

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Then I strongly recommend that you look into making exemptions on the VPN to allow voice traffic to flow unimpeded.

A good start would be to look at the Firewall ports that are required to be open for the MBG

Alternatively, MAC exemptions for 08:00:eek:f:.. type MACs

I'll guarantee that the firewall is mainly causing your issues.

The WAN link is across a cable modem network.
The WAN speed is 50Mbps/5Mbps.
We are considering MBG, it is not yet in place.
There is a 3300 at both locations.
Both locations are connected using a L2L VPN and both voice and data VLANs are in the VPN.
There is no QOS available on the WAN link.
The VPN is concentrator to concentrator no firewall.

Do you have access to the teleworker network analyser?

If so, run a test from one site to the other site controller

It looks like it is bundled with the Mitel Teleworker Solution which we, unfortunately, do not have.
All of this is still very good information to have.
Thank you.

I'll post a copy tomorrow (about 12 hours from this post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back