Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel Teleworker Audio Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper1981

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2010
US
I have a Mitel teleworker behind a netvanta firewall. Inbound nat goes from Static > to Private of teleworker
Outbound goes from Private > To public IP that I point my mitel phones to. I am receving tone, and am able to use phonebook etc.. but no audio. I could really use some help, ideas , anything at this point!

You say you are behind a firewall but make no mention of a DMZ.

If not DMZ then you are not using a supported design.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

All communication is with the public address of the teleworker. Even internal devices talk to the external (public) address.

Equally I must echo kwbMitels's comment about DMZ and unsupported designs

Teleworker Solution Installation notes

The following items are designed to provide some assistance in terms of successfully deploying a Teleworker Solution server.

1) Be sure that the ethernet port(s), to which a Teleworker Server is being connected, are able to provide Full Duplex connections. Some DSL modems do provide L2 switched ports that will only allow for a 10baseT Half-Duplex connection.

2) When deploying a Teleworker Solution server as a gateway, the external interface of the server *MUST* have a publicly routable IP address assigned directly to it. That is, the server should not be residing behind a NAT device.

3) When deploying the server in a firewall's DMZ, the server should be deployed in server-only mode. In this scenario, a DMZ is defined as having the following characteristics:
a) Consists of a physically distinct interface on the firewall
b) Consists of a logical network that is separate from the LAN
c) Requires unique firewall rules in order to interact with the LAN
d) Is directly accessible from both the Internet and the LAN
e) Commonly provides NAT to the devices residing within.

4) When deploying the server in a firewall's DMZ, the firewall should NAT the publicly routable IP address of the server to the server's actual DMZ IP address (a private IP address). All voice traffic to, and from, remote sets will be directed to the publicly routable IP address of the server, rather than its private DMZ IP address. By default, most firewalls will not handle this behaviour, as the existing NAT rule for the Teleworker server NAT from the WAN interface to the DMZ interface; a NAT rule, or alias (Cisco specific) would be required on the LAN interface to translate the publicly routable IP address of the Teleworker server to the correct DMZ IP address.

5) When deploying a Teleworker Solution server as a gateway in a subnetted environment, any network that is to be able to access the server's facilities must be added to the server's Local Networks. When adding entries to the Local Networks section, please keep in mind that the router entry must refer to a router IP on the server's native network.

6) When deploying the Teleworker Solution in an environment that consists of multiple ICPs and/or phone networks, the Teleworker server *MUST* have a direct route to/from any voice device from/to which a call may be placed. i.e. A Teleworker server, in a DMZ, in an environment with clustered 3300 ICPs requires that the firewall rules allow it to speak to all the ICPs in the cluster, along with their respective IP sets, in order for all calls to have 2-way audio.

7) When deploying a Teleworker Solution server as a gateway in a VLAN environment, it is best to deploy the server on the voice VLAN because it is there to provide a virtual extension to the voice network. The Teleworker itself is not a VLAN aware device, so it should be connected to the VLAN router/switch using an untagged port. In the case where the server is to be accessible by multiple VLANs, the VLAN switch/router port must be untagged for each additional VLAN, in most cases this means configuring the switch port as a trunk port.

8) When deploying a Teleworker Solution server, you may have problems if the phone network's gateways do not align themselves towards the teleworker server. That is,
a) When deploying the server as an internet gateway, it should be the gateway for the phone network.
b) When deploying the server in a firewall's DMZ, the firewall should be the gateway for the phone network.

Assumeing you are in a DMZ, be sure the TW server is in "Server Only" mode. If you have a NIC on the DMZ and a NIC on the voice vlan ~this will not work~.
Ralph

Below is my configuration

ICP is on 10.0.0.0 Network Internal Address 10.0.0.5
Teleworker is on 172.20.1.0 Network Internal Address is 172.20.1.5

Teleworker is NAT 172.20.1.5 to Dedicated Public IP Address.

Do I need to do any NAT for my private LAN that ICP is on?

Thanks,

Rex

Jasper1981: Could you fill in some blanks on the server setup before we get too far.

Is the server setip as Server and Gateway or Server Only?
Is the server in a DMZ or not?

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Server only

The 172 net is my DMZ network...

NAT 172.20.1.5 > Public IP Address of Teleworker
PUBLIC IP Of Teleworker > NAT 172.20.1.5

ICP 10.0.0.7 > Teleworker can communicate with ICP

Phone Registers with Teleworker, I receive tone. Teleworker is in Server Mode. Teleworker is On a logically seperated Network (DMZ) from the ICP. They can communicate internally. I can ping the public ip of the Teleworker internally.

Next, download the TNA software and use it from a remote location to see if all your ports are open.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back