Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel Phones and HP 1820 series switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
I have a customer that is getting hosted phones. They have 1820 series switches that are currently set up in a flat network. Their network is supported by another vendor who's techs are insisting that the switch will not function with LLDP and allow the phones to boot into the correct VLAN automatically.

I'm very well versed in HP/Aruba ProCurve switches, just not this particular model as we don't care for web-only interface switches.

If anyone has screenshots or an example of a config file, PM me with the details.

Thanks in advance.

we have had similar issues , these are low end switches
you will most likely have to manually tag the phones to force them into the voice vlan

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

As a work around when I have come across low end switches I have done the following. (The 1820 switch will need to support Vlan's and have the Voice Vlan setup)

Add otion 125 to the default vlan with just the voice vlan ID included. The phones will pick this up then release the DHCP request and reboot with the correct VLAN tag.

You then just have a DHCP server or ip helper on the Voice VLAN as per normal with the full option 125.

we have had similar issues , these are low end switches - Yeah, they suck.
you will most likely have to manually tag the phones to force them into the voice vlan - this worked, thanks. I just couldn't figure out how to add the VLAN option. Overnight epiphany :)
=====================================================================================

Add otion 125 to the default vlan with just the voice vlan ID included. The phones will pick this up then release the DHCP request and reboot with the correct VLAN tag.

You then just have a DHCP server or ip helper on the Voice VLAN as per normal with the full option 125.

=====================================================================================

The 1810 that I'm testing with, and I'm told that the 1820 too; doesn't have the "Voice" Command capability. Nor does it have the ability to do an IP helper address.

Option 125 isn't used with the Mitel (Shoretel) hosted phones - if you know how to make them work with option 125, please share it.
And since these are 6900 series phones, they don't recognize option 132.

No experience of the Shoretel phones but as you probably know the 6900 series support option 125 (and 43 I think?) so they would follow my suggestion.

When the 6900 series are in MiNet mode, they support option 125. When they're on Mitel Hosted, they use SIP - this is an entirely different animal... they've basically thrown the old books away for this.

I'm not a fan.

Must admit I don't work on Mitel that much anymore but I have done a bit of digging on this as I was curious.

On Mitel's document centre there is a document called "6800/6900 Series SIP Phones Administrator Guide" link below,

on page 4-12 it details how to use option 43 and 132 to issue the VLAN ID parameter, once the phone recieves a VLAN ID in the original DHCP request it will reboot then send a new DHCP request on that VLAN.

It states option 43 takes precedence over option 132 and if you use 43 the entry must be in hex.

I think we have a 6900 in SIP mode in the office if I remember to bring it home I will test it in my lab if that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back