Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel Opinions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobG2001

MIS
Oct 5, 2001
US
Since I can't get the search function to work, I wondered if anybody has any opinions on the Mitel VoIP solutions like the 3300. We're considering and will be going to trade show soon. TIA

Robert

Robert,

I have lots of opinions about the 3300. I have installed several of them over the past year. I think it is a good product, but I must admit I have little exposure to other manufacturers IP product. Is there something that you are looking for secifically?

Simon

Thanks for the help. First, I'm a network admin and never had to deal with PBXs or phone systems before this job, so this is all new to me. We currently have 3 SX-200s which I've been told have been rock solid. Now that we're opening two more offices, my manager wants to look into VoIP. He wants something that can be managed internally (me) but that has all the features he's used to. One of the big things he's looking for is the ACD features. (We installed CyberACD 6 months ago.) Every time I try to do research in magazines and the Internet I only see Avaya, Cisco and others. Rarely Mitel. I get the impression that Mitel is new to VoIP and others like Avaya are ahead of the game. What do you think?

Most of the Avayas and Mitels are "retrofit", they are another box that attaches to the switch. The Shoreline is a true IP PBX. If you came from the data side of the house, you will probably love it. It can be integrated with your legacy PBX seamlessly. You ought to check it out. Thanks,

Matt Wray

I need to disagree with the "retrofit" statement. You need to shop for a PBX based on available support, features, functionality, ease of use, ability to accept industry standard apps, networking capabilty, expansion, longevity, price, etc....... The arguement for a PBX that can support voice via "IP" or both "TDM & IP" could only be an arguement FOR an Avaya, Nortel, Mitel, or inter-tel. 20+ years of experience in call center ACD enviornments can't be picked up overnight by the 3com's, cisco's, shoreline's, etc (not to directly knock on them because some have some good features). Stay focused that what you are really buying a call processing platform. Don't fall victim to the hype. You are not buying a protocol. -CL

Are you running the SX-200EL? LW19 Release supports IP Nodes and IP Trunking. That would be a good way to link up your three existing PBX's. I am assume that your CyberACD is pulling data from all your sites. The mitel 3300 is based on the SX2000 call control, and has some more advanced ACD features, such as skill-based routing. You would also be able to migrate your cyberACD and digital sets if you wish using a per node off the 3300. This would mean that you would have to purchase new cards for the sets as the SX200 cards are not compatible with the 3300. The IP nodes for the SX200 are fairly new but would be based on existing IP infrastructure that the 3100 and 3300 have. Adding IP nodes would allow you to keep a lot of your existing equipment and evolve your PBX. You could then add IP Trunks or IP sets at your convenience. Sets and trunks are programmed nearly the same way as they are with your existing SX200.

The 3300 allows you to have remote ACD agents as well. This could be handy with you three different sites as it would allow you a lot of flexibility with your call centre.

In one of your previous posts you were wondering if Mitel was new to VOIP. They did not introduce their VOIP products until about 2 years ago starting with the 3200 which has been discontinued. The 3300 becaome available in Dec 2001. Mitel had sent out a white paper in early 99 laying out their strategy for IP. One of the most important things for them is reliability. PBX customers expect their switches to work all the time, even when their PC's don't and when the power is out! Mitel realised that they had to carry that reliability into the Data world. They also recognized that they would have to take the features that were currently available in their products and carry those forward as well.

So that's my sermon, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask

Simon

I'm of the opinion that until LEC's primary service offerings are prodominately VoIP, I'd choose a traditional legacy system that has the capabilities to operate on either side of the fence.

The Definity ECS's are a strong product line thats origins are that of Bell Labs. The latest realease offers the processing software of your choice: MS, Unix or Linux OS platform. You can have ViOP, Traditional, Video, etc.

Nortel is another key manufacture where that in the last 7 to 10 years their focus has become more network oriented while still holding on to tradition. Their PBX line is versital much like the Definity.

Mitels are good.

Bottom line is,... if it cost a large chunk of change and your not to familiar with the industry, contact an industry leader, a company that is established.

If I may add my two cents in...

I find Mitel and Norstar products to both be very solid. Obviously which one you choose depends entirely on what the application is. However, do be aware that there can be drawbacks to VOIP.

Sure, it's the latest technology, but that doesn't always make it best. First, VOIP, as it currently stands, can very rarely ever reach toll quality. If you have never messed with VOIP, I recommend taking some courses to learn about such items as latency, packet loss, etc.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.

I have (3) 3300 Mitel IP switches installed and have installed 3 outside of our company. I have an admin/IT background and these things are beautys. Granted, I have not use any other IP phone systems, but we had Mitel SX-2xxx PBX's and these just dropped right in next to them.

Correction the bum above quoting you need to have a PBX with the 3300, completely wrong. The 3300 is all in one unit, about 1 or 2 U (who measures in U's anyways!) and a seperate 1 or 2 U unit that has it's PRI, or CO lines in it. It comes with one T1 card built in and up to 4 or 8 analog backup lines.

There stuff was a little a buggy, but once you drop one at a remote site, and connect them through, site to site conection. There Teleworker series is basically a $1200 add on that loads on an workstation, sits in your server room with two nic cards and hands off the calls to and from the 3300. Works like a champ. Creating a teleworker add in was super easy.

My vendor says they are getting ready to put in a 4000 based user mitel network. (all 3300's.) that's huge.

I must also disagree with the "retrofit Statement" I am a 3300 certified tech, and the 3300 is a tru ippbx. It is feature rich and the newer software is ver dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back