Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel CXi VLAN configuration help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2007
US
I am building a new 3300 with MBG running 4 teleworker phones.

Question: How do I log into the CXi without having to issue the "vlan_off" command?

Mitel CXi is on VLAN 2, System IP is 192.168.20.2, DHCP is enabled.

Data VLAN is 1 with a Windows Server 2003 using DHCP on the 192.168.17.xxx network. Mitel option 125 is configured.

The phones get a dhcp request from the Winserv and then reboot on vlan 2 and get their IP address from the Mitel.

This all works as it should, following the example in the THB. Which brings me back to my problem. How can a non-vlan aware pc talk to the controller once it is set on VLAN 2?

You mention CXi, how are the embedded LAN ports programmed, can you plug your laptop into one of these?
Maybe you could program one of these ports for programming/maintenance purposes.

All voice packets are tagged. All data packets are untagged. I'm pretty sure that all the switchports are in the default (out of box) configuration.

I did play with tagging voice packets and data packets on port one and see if that would allow access. It didn't.

If the CXi is set with VLAN 2 in the System IP properties, only a VLAN aware device would be able to access it.

You should be able to program a switch port to be untagged VLAN 2 and connect a PC to get access to the Mitel.
It doesn't have to be VLAN aware as you are programming the port to handle the VLAN network.
Does the Mitel provide DHCP to everything or only mitel devices? You may have to assign a static IP to your PC.

I think I read somewhere that you can set a port to be both tagged and untagged (i.e. work for both) and then you can plug a PC in and programme as per sarond above.

The local router needs a route towards the MCD
We normally connect the MCD lan port to a Switch port Untagged in the voice vlan
Set the MCD's gateway to the voice vlan gateway
Set a route to the voice vlan pointing at the Switches LAN address

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

You could program a port on the layer 2 that it's default VLAN is the voice VLAN. You could find a PC that has a NIC card that supports VLAN tagging ( good luck only found one so far ) You can setup routing on your layer 2 to allow the data VLAN to connect to devices on the Voice VLAN.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Thanks everyone for the input. I now have it working. The solution was to make have a port untagged on the voice vlan (VLAN 2) and tagged on the data vlan (VLAN 1). I used port 16 for this because port 17 would not work for some reason with the same configuration.

Having them both tagged didn't work. Only when I untag the voice and tag the data on a port does it allow PC access.

that you can set a port to be both tagged and untagged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back