Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel Controller assistance and 5312 VoIP Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2004
GB
Hi everyone. This question may have already been answered however this is my first attempt at resolving an Issue with our Mitel system.
I have access to our controller (System Admin Access) so can do almost what i need to. However what i need to do, I have never been shown how to do.

I am replacing a VoIP 5312 handset for a user. As you may know to add a new handset you have to register the Mac address on the controller. Once done the system issues it an IP address and the users can log on.
However here is where my dilemma begins.

The screen of the phone just shows as locked, So i don't know what the original Pin was.
I am un sure how to locate the mac address for the phone from the controller. If i can do this I can associate it with a PIN.
Finally, i was shown how to add the phones to the controller but not how to remove them. I assume I could just delete the current handset from the controller but i would prefer to de register the handset.

Simply put, i want to plug in the handset, type in the relevant code to de register it.

To add the phone in I type ***123456 and then press the super key. I want to do the reverse.

Can any one assist.

Thanks

Craig

You can't de-register a phone in that manner. If you have a defective you want to replace you can use the set replacement code that is set in the system options. If you want to remove the phone completely you just go into the users and devices or users and services or the multiline set assignment form ( the name is different in different software loads and since you didn't specifiy I am guessing which you need to use ). If you want to change the phone type you can do it in the above mentioned places and you will need to re-pin the phone.

Note: the MAC address of a phone is on a label on the underside of the phone.

You can't duct tape stupid.

Hi LoopyLou

Thanks for coming back to me.
Is there a simple way to do the set replacement. I have taken over the role and not really had much experience with VoIP.

Also I have the MAC address already from the phone but what i was trying to achieve was being able to locate the mac of the phone on the Controller its self.

Again thank you for your feedback. Im a step closer.

Craig

On most systems people tend to program the register code as *** and the replacement code as ###. (As Loopy suggests you can confirm this in the System Options Form)
So to replace a faulty 5312, when asked for the PIN dial ###extn,superkey. This will replace the MAC address for the extension with the new replacement phone.
If the phone says locked just reboot to see if it asks for the PIN again.

Hi Sarond

Thanks for the reply. Problem is I dont know the original Pin.
This is why i wanted to know if you could search for the mac address in the controller. If i can find the phone via the MAC address i will know what the pin was.

Thanks

Craig

If you go to IP Phone Inventory, All IP Phones, search for the MAC there.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Perfect. Thank you for your help jrgood0852. That was just what i was after.

@ clubsceneuk2

I think the issue you are having is that you don't know what the purpose of the pin is.

The pin is simply a method of sending the phones MAC address to the controller.

The pin is a combination of a registration code and an extension number.

There is no such thing as an original pin. Maybe what you meant to say is that you did not know the original extension?

Moving on... There are 4 things that would cause the phone to say Locked in the display - only one of which will be resolved by replacement.

In order of likelihood:
[ul]
[li]The phone has been placed into headset mode and as such the hookswitch no longer works to hang up the phone[/li]
[ul]
[li]Press the X key to hangup the phone[/li]
[li]Dial Feature Access Code to turn off headset[/li]
[/ul]
[li]The phone should be programmed in a Multi-Device User Group, but is not[/li]
[ul]
[li]This is determined by how the phone is licensed. The phone would never have worked if this is true[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]The phone has been locked via a feature access code[/li]
[ul]
[li]There is a feature access code to unlock the phone[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]
[ul]
[li]The hookswitch on the phone is defective[/li]
[ul]
[li]This is the only scenario where replacing the phone will fix the issue and is the least likely IMHO[/li]
[/ul]
[/ul]

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Agree with kwbMitel. The pin is just a feature code saying register this phone with this extension number. You can go to any new Ip phone and put in the pin ( the set registration code set in the system features phone ) and and extension number and the set becomes that extension number. The limitation is you program a set type ( 5312, 5320 etc ) against the extension number and if set is not correct the registration will fail.

As for MAC not sure why you would need it but besides the phone inventory if you just pull up the users extension number in the forms I mentioned before you will see the MAC address.

You can't duct tape stupid.

Hi Everyone.
Thanks for the replies. I have now resolved this issue with the help of jrgood0852.
Using his method, i typed in the mac address which took me to the pin. With the pin i was able to change the handset over using the ### method also mentioned in this thread.

I now have a new handset using the original pin which is what i was after. Sorry if i didnt explain this very clear. In my hed it sounded easy but my fingers didnt quite type exactly what i was after.

However again thanks to everyone that replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back