Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MITEL Apps and VMWare

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdpayne

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2006
US
Does anyone know if the different server apps, 6000 MAS, Enterprise Manager, YA, etc., must only run on their own server or can they be hosted in a virtual environment? Thanks.

For now, they can only run on their own platforms. Note-: I think a select few can be combined onto one server.

The plan from Mitel is that early next year or by the middle of next year, these applications can run in the virtual server environment.

I should say that Mitel plans to SUPPORT this option. You could always try and see if it works!

My Biggest problem is that I almost always believe what I tell myself.

There is no reason for them not to work today. YA server is not used once the software on the client PC is loaded (i.e. it's only used for licensing). There is no reason it won't work. Just try it!

Paterson has it right. Mitel will not support it but it will probably work. I have a customer that is running everything on virtual servers and so far no issues. I've had other customers try to combine servers and it's been bad, very bad.

If you combine apps on a single server, be prepared for format and start over.

Individual App's on individual virtual servers seems OK so far.

It will work, but is very unsupported!

I have a site running EntMan/Ops, Teleworker and ME on ONE box! The box is a Quad Xeon with 4 gigs of ram, they went all out on the host machine. It runs Win 2003 as the host OS with 4 nics in it. Using VMWare server (or whatever they call it now). The host OS has no apps installed.
Nic 2 is dedicated to Entman/Ops, 3 is TW, 4 is ME.

In VMWare you specify what nic each virtual session will use. It was a bear to set up, and product support will not help at all. The customer is very VMWare savey, all of their servers run in a virtual environment for ease of maintenance. Now, if that box ever goes down they obviously lose all Mitel apps, but it runs Raid 5 with redundant power supplys and 4 processors, so it's quite a robust machine.
They can move all apps to a new machine in about 20 minutes flat, so recovery is quite easy. They love it, and I hate it. ;)

I also have a customer that has installed their 6510 on vmware. They have 6 clustered servers and the 6510 is one of about 30 virtual servers running among the physical hardware. It seems to be running OK so far. Great for backups and restoring data. The biggest hurdle for them was getting the USB dongles to work properly in the virtual enviroment. They are also planning on moving OPSMan and Prairiefyre over as well. I am a little uncomfortable not being able to physically attach to the box, as I can't say put in a cd by myself, etc. Also the IT guys have to be available at a seconds notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back