Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 6940 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguy610

Programmer
Apr 3, 2009
US
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 6940s are compatible with an open source sip server such as asterisk or broadsoft?

They used to be Aastra phones so I would assume yes but I do not know for certain.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

So found out that they only work with mitel the 69xx series...

but they are planning to release a 5.0 FW that will make them compatible with other platforms.

With the MiVO250 they are placed in SIP mode and the Firmware is uploaded from the App Server.

You can get the firmware from the server and use a TFTP server to manually change the firmware I believe.

I thought I read something stating that while the 69xx series is SIP capable, they will only work with Mitel call control, even in SIP mode. I have no idea why they would do that.

Actually I remember reading that as well. They have a model specifically for Open Standards SIP.

I have a 6920 in the office at the moment in SIP mode connected to a MiVO250 so I might look at programming it next week onto a non-Mitel SIP platform.

I just tried to program a 6920 to an asterisk based system, it did not work.

Although it appears to register, the phone gets a 606 error on the status page.

6.1.7 Can 6900 phones be used with any Call Manager?
No. The 6900 firmware is locked so that it will only work with Mitel platforms. If a user attempts to
configure and connect to a third-party server (e.g. Broadsoft) then the SIP accounts will not register.
Page | 7 R5.0 SIP 6900/6800 FAQ

6.1.8 Are 6800 phones locked if we install R5.0 or still open to all Call Managers?
The 6800 series phones are sold into Open Standards market (Broadsoft, Asterisk etc.) as well as behind
Mitel solutions (MX-ONE, 5000, 400, Telepo, etc.). They will continue to be open and R5.0 does not lock
them to Mitel platforms.

^from what i was told by a mitel source, they have a 5.0 coming out for the 6900 series as well. Not sure if anyone can confirm or get their hands on it.

The FW I tested with is 5.0.0.150 (this is via MiVOAS 5.1) on a 6920.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back