Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 5500 Console: OUT OF SERVICE - Ping OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

picke

MIS
Jun 4, 2008
GB
Hi everybody,

We have two 5500 IP consoles and one of them failed recently. Can't connect to the console from the software, the status of the device in "Telephones - programmed" is "OUT of service".

The console doesn't show red light when connected to the network (HP Procurve switches) and I can ping its voice VLAN IP with no problem from the data network. Also ping is fine from another phone.

The console shows the red light when connected to the 3300 directly. (?) No pings.

We use LLDP but still have options 125+ on our Windows 2003 DHCP server.

5212 phone works fine on the same line.

Any suggestions please? We are on 8.0 UR5

Thanks!

The keypad when booting shows the Red LED when obtaining an IP address once the LED is out the keypad has an IP address.
You will then need to launch the 5550 application before the 5550 will show in service.
The console keypad needs to be in the data Vlan (trunking) with routing to the voice Vlan.

Does the keypad and 5550 application work when directly connected to the 3300?

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

Thanks Supernova99,

Oddly, the LED is red when the keypad is connected to the 3300, and OFF when connected to the network (Data/Voice port). I can ping the keypad in the first case with no problem.

I didn't get this, I am afraid: "The console keypad needs to be in the data Vlan (trunking) with routing to the voice Vlan."
The consoles are assigned static IPs in voice Vlan, on the Mitel system.

Sometimes customers want to use the PC for other things emails etc.
If so then normally the Data port will need to be in the data vlan with access to the voice vlan.
With the phones it is normally the other way around where the data vlan DHCP server will give the phone the vlan ID to boot up inthe voice vlan.

I suppose if your other console is working correctly you could just swap them over to see if there is an issue with the config of the HP switch port.

dont forget that the console keypad does not use LLDP and will use 125 after it has been booted through the system for the first time (A brand new one will need option 128 to boot for the first time).

good catch Bob
option 128, 129 and 130 all need to be enabled for older firmware

Thanks guys,

I am aware of LLDP and 5500, hence I mentioned we still have options 125+.

Yes we use operators' PCs for other (data) purposes as well. So the consoles are connected to a port with Data (Primary) / Voice Vlans, with routing between vlans enabled.

I can't swap the consoles - concern about loosing the second one as well. 5212 phone works fine on the same port.

Still can't understand why:

*** The faulty 2002 "out service" keypad is pingable
*** The working keypad 2001 has IP from DATA vlan listed (please see attachment). Is it IP of the PC where 5500 software running?

Regards,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1726759/5500.gif
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back