Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 5330 continuing bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinroc

Programmer
Apr 21, 2010
AU
One of our customers having problem with mitel controller CXi release is 4.1. All phones are 5330 and all of them stays on continuing boot up. It receives IP from the controller. I havent seen this problem before. Then we have to shutdown system and reboot. This thing works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt work. All ip phones are connected to layer 2 switch of the controller. Any help?? Thank you.

Sounds like a conflict in the network. Same IP address for the ICP or layer 2 switch.
Have you checked the logs?

What is handing out DHCP? Your PBX or another server?

Secondly, if you have your 3300 handing out DHCP, are you handing out DHCP from another server on your data vlan? If yes, is the data switch port connected to it an "access port" or a "trunk port" or using tagging? If it's not an access port on your data switch, remove the voice vlan from it.

Then retry.

Dry Aquaman

I found the solution... Someone connected their data network to phone system. Both of them are on separate network and DHCP is turned on both the networks.. So 2 DHCP was causing the problem. Thank you for your reply.

Using CDP or LLDP in your layer 2 would prevent this.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

I do not think the l2 switch of a CXi can use cdp or lldp.. Or can it?

I disconnected that patch lead and restore the back up.. That solved problem.. It was getting ip from the CXi but then it was getting stuck on continuing bootup. I was able to see LLDP on the phones.. But I thought that the cable connected to another dhcp was blocking phones to boot up. Has anyone had this sort of problem? Let me know how you resolved it.. Thanks all...

I suppose you could enable VLAN's as this would also prevent this as the phones would only ever route to the correct DHCP server wherever it is Mitel or Windows/linux

Share what you know - Learn what you don't

@Supernove : VLAN is Enable and it is set to 1. So It shouldn't be the problem.

I got Call from that customer again and now it is different problem it says DHCP: Discovery. I dont know whats going on there. It worked fine for a week and it came up with different problem. Its something different then what I was thinking. Any help?

It sounds like the lease expired and the phone does not see any DHCP servers anymore.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I dont know why it doesnt see the server. Because DHCP option is set up in CXi and it shouldn't happen. Their DATA and Voice are on different networks now. So there is no conflict anymore. Thank for quick reply KWBMITEL.

DHCP issues can be very difficult to troubleshoot.

There are quite a few ways that it could be setup successfully and many ways each could fail.

You will need to get pretty specific if you need our help at this point.

Start with what you expect to happen when you plug in a phone.

e.g. (a typical example but not the only one by far)
Plug in phone
Phone starts boot sequence
phone says vlan none priority none
phone does DHCP discovery
phone says releasing
phone says vlan 2 priority 6
phone does another DHCP discovery
phone receives ip address x.x.x.x
phone says ICP at address X.X.X.X
Phone startup
phone Functional

@kwbmitel:
It performs all the boot sequence you mentioned. The only difference is it comes up with VLAN 1 priority 6. Because I have set it to 1. Except that it performs all the steps you mentioned.

Plug in phone
Phone starts boot sequence
phone says vlan none priority none
phone does DHCP discovery
phone says releasing
phone says vlan 2 priority 6
phone does another DHCP discovery
phone receives ip address x.x.x.x
phone says ICP at address X.X.X.X
Phone startup
phone Functional

The phone is functional and does not stop at either DHCP discovery?

WHat then is the problem? I'm confused.

Phones are working now.. But system freezes itself some times like it happened on last week monday and friday. I cant log on to the esm. Phones gets stuck on the continuing boot up after getting ip from DHCP. I have to resart system manually. After that sometimes system might come up or might again freezes up itself. It works fine some days and again gets stuck. I dont know whats going on there.

This is independent network and nothing is connected. I just used CXi's POE switch. There is nothing connected to it. Customer's data network is seperate and phone network is seperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back