Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 5320 Phones not getting DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig222

Systems Engineer
Dec 5, 2017
GB
Hi,

I am trying to add new phones to our network but they are getting an error - 'Nak/LeaseOver->reset, Resetting phone...'

If I set a static IP address on the phone, the phone works fine, so it seems that DHCP is a problem.
If I set a DHCP reservation, the phone also works fine!?

it is connecting to a Cisco 3650 and the port is configured as follows:-
switchport access vlan 2
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 10
spanning-tree portfast

Help![dazed]

So, what is providing DHCP in VLAN 10?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The NAK is telling me it is not properly configured for IP Phones.

Did you use the DHCP Helper for option 125 or did you try to hack it in there?

I recall a problem i had a year ago.
Phones worked fine on static programming but i could not get them running with DHCP and a VLAN.
I think the problem was that the dual modes worked fine but the non dual modes (green screen???) did not.
A long story short, they do not support vlan and DHCP together at all!

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Do you see in the VLAN10 DHCP scope a lease appearing when the server makes the offer?

Does your switch use LLDP to tell the phone about VLAN10?
Have you tried adding the new phone to a switchport that has an old (working) phone in it?
What DHCP option are you using for the phones to give them their Mitel vendor details?

Modifying VinceWhilewind's question RE:LLDP

Cisco uses CDP - Same question (and assumed based on your design specs to be yes IMO)

Hi kwbMitel, I have option 125 set in both data and voice vlans, and I can confirm that the details are correct.

Hi tlpeter, are you saying that even though the phones are the same model (5320) that there is a different hardware variation?

Hi VinceWhirlwind, I have tested that the DHCP scope works by changing the data vlan to 10 (voice) and I confirmed that my laptop can get an IP address on the voice range.
Yes, I have tried a switchport that has an old working phone on-same error.
I am using option 125.
No, the switch doesn't use LLDP and never has. As it has never been enabled, I am not keen on enabling LLDP on the switch.

This has never been a problem in the past, but as far as we are aware, no changes have been made.

Have you exhausted all the IP addresses in your DHCP Pool? i.e. all ip addresses have been assigned/leased.
You may need to increase the amount of IP Addresses in your pool.

Hi sarond,

The scope statistics say that we have 246 (52%) IP addresses available, so that is not a problem.

Is the Windows server only on an access port of the switch? or do you have VLANs on the Server as well?

I am sorry, i am confused with the 5220 i think.
This is not the case for the 53xx range at all.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

The Windows server is connected to a port which is configured like this-

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/29
description Connected_to_vHost4
switchport trunk native vlan 2
switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,998,999
switchport mode trunk

What happens if you set a phone with static VLAN 10. Not static addresses etc... just the VLAN.

Hi sarond,

It gets the same 'Nak/LeaseOver->reset, Resetting phone...' error.

Does this mean anything to you?

Does the cisco have a 'helper' service on it to enable the switch to send dhcp requests to the correct lan from the voice vlan? (assuming the dhcp server is on vlan 2. (I'm not an expert BTW just a thought?)

Hi wireman50,

Yes they do:-
!
interface Vlan2
description Corporate LAN
ip address 172.16.1.251 255.255.248.0
ip helper-address 172.16.0.63
ip helper-address 172.16.0.64
!
!
interface Vlan10
description Mitel Voice
ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.254.0
ip helper-address 172.16.0.63
ip helper-address 172.16.0.64
ip directed-broadcast
!

I have had the error happen before, I'm just trying to rack my brain on why it happened and what the fix was.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the Option 125, does it have the vlan tag set?
Sometimes removing that vlan options help as the switch sorts this out with CDP.

Also what system and version are you running?
Are the firmware versions of the phones that work and the new phones the same.
If you set a phone statically and get it to upgrade its firmware does it then work when put back to DHCP or have the same issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back