Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 5220 Blank Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

undeliverable

Technical User
Jan 3, 2014
GB
I have been given a Mitel 5220 to join our existing Mitel IP network but the display is blank when I power it up.
I have tried all sorts of key combinations (superkey, up+down, *,#) when booting but it won't display anything.
I wonder if it has been SIP enabled previously which is why it won't work. Can it be reverted back again ?
Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

Regardless if it has been used previously in any kind of scenario you would still get some sort of power to the phone and then an error on display etc.. The phone should always power up.. it may not work but would have some power and display..

Just to be sure, does it not at least light?

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

When I connect the network lead the orange lights all come on for a second and the display lights up. Then the lights go off and the display remains lit but with no text. I would expect to see a message there usually.

Yes, you would normally be able to follow the boot process on the screen so either the phone is pooched or the display contrast is screwed up. We received some 5330 sets that did something similar and found that for some reason the contrast at max straight out of the box. By writing down how to change the contrast on a working phone we followed that process ( even though we saw nothing on the screen ) and sure enough the phone was ok.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Isn't the contrast reduced by just pressing the down arrow ?
Or maybe can you only adjust this after the phone is in the usual standby mode ?

I've run into many 5220s, 5215s and earlier 5212s and 5224s that all had the same issue.

I always replaced them assuming the display was defective.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

OK I configured the phone using the MAC address and let it boot up.
The phone works and I can make and receive calls however the display is blank and the up down buttons make no difference.
As the 5220 has no option to adjust the brightness, only contrast, I am assuming the LCD is broken.
Do they fade over time ?

I've had this problem before, too - I think the ribbon cable which connects the LCD to the main board degrades over time, you can usually heat these up to get a connection back to the board with most phones, but Mitel used plastic so you'll just end up with a melted mess. You can buy replacement assemblies easily enough.

Gently does it. If gently doesn't do it, smash it with the hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back