Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 3300 CXi II Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech1302

Technical User
Mar 8, 2013
GB
Hi

would anyone be able to provide me some details about this unit. how old the unit is and the capabilities please...

thanks

and what is the difference between mitel 3300 CXi II Controller and mitel 3300 CX II Controller

thanks

CX controller has only one lan port, CXi has 16 PoE layer 2 lan ports and other extras that relate to that. The II bit refers to the fact that it is release two and has changes from release one and the two are incompatable (main chang IIRC was the move from PATA to SATA Hard disks). Brief description only

thanks for the reply mate...

do people use this unit as much as Mitel 5000`s. is this anyway better than 5000

thanks

The CX II or CXi II are the newer controllers. There were previous CX and CXi controllers. Kind of hard to say if a 3300 is "better" then a 5000 it's just different. The 5000 is cheaper to buy for smaller deployments. The 5000 is a better replacement for a key system. The 5000 will take digital at a lower cost point. Both have features the other doesn't that in certain situations make them a better choice. If you want a small IP system the Cxi 3300 is a good choice because of the built in Layer 2 poe switch. You can support both IP phones and PC's without any additional equipment. The CX/CXi uses the same software as the rest of the 3300 family which makes the CX/CXi a good choice if you plan for growth if that the database can be moved to the larger MXe controller or even the vMCD ( with some small changes ). The final point is that some of the other Mitel applications are either not supported on the 5000 or at this point don't have the same number of features. That is likley to change of course as Mitel seems to be adding better 5000 support with each applicaton release.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Hmmm, interesting question......in some ways its better than the 5000 but in others I suspect the 5000 is at least as good. Certainly the 5000 comes with more of the software side already installed and licenced (don't ask me chapter and verse because we only just have taken the 5000 on) IIUIC.

Depending on where you are installing it and how (network V CW3108 cabling infrastructures) one can be better than the other. 3300 is really pure IP whilst the 5000 is a hybrid digital/IP system (both can run numbers of analog extensions).

We never fit CXi's because I prefer the separate network switch rather than a one box item (which is quite a bit more to buy than a decent layer 2 switch with PoE these days ( the mitel inbuilt switch which adds £600 to the cost of the hardware). But again its a preference of ours that others may well not agree with. With the 5000 you are going to have to have a separate switch and a DHCP server running on the network for IP usage (until the fabled release 6 comes out) but that's built in to the 3300.

and so on....

thanks guys

just wondering the price difference is massive. 3300 CXi II is about £920 whereas the 5000 is just about £450

thanks

Layer 2 onboard switch. Adss £600 to list price of CXi over CX. I suspect you are looking at the promo price for now to april for the 5000 as normally its around £950 list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back