Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Misunderstood Song Lyrics - that make sense... 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

jancebk

MIS
Jan 13, 2003
US
One of the threads in this forum made me think of song lyrics that people sing incorrectly, but yet sort of make sense...

For example - for years I thought that the line in The Eagles song "Take it Easy" that goes "Looking for a lover that won't blow my cover" was actually "Looking for a lover that won't blow my brother".

Any contributions?

In Cindy Lauper's "Girl's just want to have fun", she sings "when the working day is done", I always thought she sang "when the earth can date the sun".

I was probably 10 when the song game out and I just found out the real lyrics . . . two weeks ago.

Peace!! [americanflag] [peace] [americanflag]

Mike

Didn't get the answers that you wanted? Then . . . Click Here

"May I have your name please?"

"Dimandja"

"You the manager?"

This happens quite often. I try to fight it by pronouncing my name verrry slooowly. But then, I only manage to thoroughly confuse them:

"Dee... who?... You Eye-talian?

Perhaps if you toss in your last name... but only if it is something prosaic like Smith.

"My name is Dimandja Smith."

But I can still see it:

"You the manager?" [boy, he's got a weird title!]

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Here is one that I just found out the other day. It is Land Down Under by Men at Work.

I thought it was: He just smiled and gave me a bite of my sandwich.
It really is: He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

vegemite sandwich... not that that makes much more sense than the mondegreen.

Oh, I see that I missed answering a question. Yes, I think it's just "pump up the volume" on each line.

(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

I guess they eat it like peanut butter down there. Never tried it or wanted to!!

jennuhw:
crack me up - until now I also thought it was "gave me a bite of my sandwich" !!!

Thanks all for posting to this thread. Bits of humor in my day!
Jan

When I was little and didn't know what the word 'eternal' meant, I thought the Bangles sang about an 'anti-turn off flame', which is the same thing I suppose!

What do the Bangles actually sing about, Katy44?

They were asking "Is this burning an eternal (anti-turn off) flame?

Okay, I can't resist--how many of you out there also really thought that Hotel California by the Eagles went like this:

"On a dark desert highway,
Cool Whip in my hair..."

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

>They were asking "Is this burning an eternal (anti-turn off) flame?"

Yes, of course.

Black Crowes:

My interpretation
hey little thing lemme light your candle cause a momma i'm shohana hennana dance around

The real deal
hey little thing let me light your candle cause momma i’m sure hard to handle now, gets around

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]insert funny quotation here.[/tt]

I wanted to know what the line was, not who the Bangles were.

ESquared, my answer was tongue-in-cheek.
The answer of course was given "eternal flame". My fun with "eternal (anti-turn off) flame" is understood when you get to see the Bangles: definitely "anti-turn off".

<muttering to myself/> I wonder if I'm still making sense.

Dimandja,

You're fine, I'm just really dense sometimes. [smile]

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back