Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mistakenly Deleted fiels in SunOs 4.1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
IN
HI all,
I ahve an emergency here as one of my colleagues had removed an entire software release folder under development in SS20.
The OS is SunOS 4.1.4.
He had done the removal by rm -R <dir> through Telnet session and closed the session when the operation was completed only to realize it was a blunder.
Can any one tell me how to recover the data as it is the heart of the development and i have no backup of the directory with recent changes i.e., during the Nov month.

thanx in advance
great regards

If this is software which you have created yourself, and for which you have no backup, then there is nothing that you can do :-(

Best advice would be &quot;take your medicine&quot; and implement a daily/weekly backup regime now!

Greg.

As Grega said, Sorry but if you have no backup, you have lost everything. No Undelete under Solaris. Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

Any body else there to solve and get me out of this hell?
Not being so stupid about this but as a last chance.
thanx and regards

There is no way to recover under Sunos.
You might check some disk recovery companies to see what they can do.

Hi all,
i think there might be a solution which u might not be knowing, if u can visit the samag site u can get it. else i shall post the link tommorrow.
they had given a probable solution though it depends on the situation.
thanx regardingly

yeah grega u r right, only when there is s stand still in the work on the box on which this fateful thing happens b'coz, if u just go on working, there is every possibility of the inodes getting used up by others. so its just an experience for a perfect discipline to take off at a very basic instinct, that when things like accidental deletion occurs first ever state of approach should be the ddeing or taking image of the FS of the partition so that would make it possible to atleast do some R&D and find the way to kick the back off ur neck.
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back