Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mission Impossible IV: GP Dynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackStageJim

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2005
US
HELP!!

I have been presented with a task; find a replacement for our ERP within three weeks. Why, Existing application is not living up to promises, and vendor is not forthcoming to fixes. Existing application is hitting one year anniversary in mid-June.

I have seen the product SAGE running at a customer that was retail/mail-order, but we are manufacturing and distribution of medical equipment. It is one on the short list.

During our selection process GP-D was in but it was felt it was too much for our site. That cost to customize and receiving support would be prohibitively expensive at ROI time.

Problem: I need to have presentation and possible decision within two weeks. The window to get some of our investment will close shortly. Does this seem possible with the complexity of GP-D?

Environment background

Industry:
Manufacturing and Distribution
Business application requirements:
Core accounting (general ledger, financial reporting, bank reconciliation, accounts payable, accounts receivable)
Advanced financials (budgeting, consolidations, financial data warehouse)
Integrated accounting and operations (warehouse, manufacturing, project planning, estimating, property management)
Fixed asset depreciation and inventory
International sales, including multi-currency processing
Contact and customer management
Customer relationship management
E-commerce (Internet order entry and customer self-service)
Business intelligence and integration tools
Service management
Capability that best represents your need(s):
We want the software to be fully customizable, with the ability to add capabilities that will meet our unique needs. We have a number of modules such as RMA that are very specific, almost anal in ISO clarification.
Number of employees in company: 51 - 100
Number of concurrent users: 21 - 50
Spending expectations: More than $50,000

This is why Artemis slew Orion ERP

What I would do is hit Microsoft's website and find a partner close to you. You're going to need them to get this running properly. GP can be a great benefit if it's installed properly. It can cause great pains if it's not :). The partner would be the best resource for specific information because you can sit down with them face to face and get all of your questions answered immediately.

With your requirements, you may need to increase your cost. Also, look for a Microsoft partner that can show you all Dynamics products including Great Plains, Navision and Axapta. Even though you don't have the money for Axapta, it will give you ideas what your money can buy you.

Thanks all.

The cost can range to 500K without much sweat to the bottom line. My headache is getting players involved, not tripping over each other as they walk in the door, and me getting some sleep. I'm also painfully aware that 16 months ago the top 3 players were here, did the wine dine for management committee, and were shot down. I'm rather new here, and just want a system that works or at least presents the same message twice. Or have a help desk person say, "Don't make mistakes during data entry!"

What I normally do is create an RFP with all the possible features users want in the system including integrations. Create a point system based on importance. Since you have 2 weeks to do this, here a suggestion:

1)Send an email to everybody and ask them what they liked about your old system, what they changed in the old system and their wish list.
2) Get the Top 50 and list by importance
3) Paste this to a word document then include a part where you explain your Objectives,etc.
4) Send it to vendors and tell them to do the demo then show each feature. This way you can see if the feature is what you really want

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jim,
Being a Great Plains developer, and you say you need to customize, I'd ask your vendors about the ease of customizing the software. I worked for an end-user a number of years ago and we selected Great Plains specifically because it can be customized.
Warner

Warner brings up a VERY big selling point for GP. I've worked with a few different vendors and almost all of them have proprietary add-ins. With GP you can customize it yourself or have a 3rd party add in popped in very easily. That will mean a huge difference down the road. A lot of vendors will sell you a "cheaper than the rest" solution because they know that you're going to have to come back to them for customizations when you need them (and you most likely will need them).

we use Seradex integrated to GreatPlains Financials

we're happy so far (first couple of weeks of go live under our belt)

-----------
and they wonder why they call it Great Pains!

jaz

jaz- we've delayed looking at Seradex but like I said on my email to you, I'll definitely call you about it when the time comes.

I work for a Great Plains - ISV and we write customizations for our clients all the time -

Here is what I would do - put together a list of the things the program HAS to do in order to do the job - I call that core - ie GL AP AR etc - then put together a list of items you would like to have - find vendors or VAR'S (value added resellers of GP) near you --- you can locate from Microsoft website --- they probably need to be able to write code or if they will bring in outside help - and let then demo the product - there are lots of custom apps that work with GP it is very flexible --- if you are going to want Job Costing I suggest Wenn Soft Job cost

Pick the best one and go -

If you tell me where you are located I might be able to help with the vendor as I have worked with several accross the country

Do not buy GP

There are better cheaper MRP's available.

We too are a GP reseller and an ISV. GP is an excellent platform for your needs. We have many sucess stories with this product and .Net customization and Web Services. You do need to raise your budget - 50 concurrent users alone will list at around $90K. For BI and reporting we have integrated OutlookSoft to GP and have sucessful implementations. Write me for more details.

Thanks all. Tectura came in today to discuss the needs. I had already goteen a 90 day copy of GP from MS to play with.

We have about 12 power users who are in the app all day, and about 5 users who hit app maybe once a day for quick entry. So mu concurrent number will drop along with price.

So far I like the look and feel of the app, and just what it provides without any customization. Will spend more time in demo mode.

Was not aware we could purchase directly from MS without some middle VAR ... interesting.

One more footnote for you. Microsoft's end of year is June 30th. If you are ready to purchase by June 15th or 20th, then you should push for a 15% to 25% discount on the GP software. Also, if you are speaking to Tectura then I would recommend you get references.

We just finished a MRP project that was integrated back to Manhattan's Warehousing Solution. Microsoft gave them a Pinnacle Award at Convergence. If you are interested to know more, please let me know.

I'm trying to be nice to Tectura since the last run-in was from a different part of their empire. We has Siebel integration, and all they could talk about was GP, and we were custom ORacle shop. Bad decisions all around, but to say they were bad is giving them credit.
I even noted this to the Tectura reps when they came in, but since this groups is in PA/NJ/NY and not Siebel I'll cut some slack.
I have the 90 day free GP, and it looks good, but so much to review and compare. Funny thing is MS has called twice to ensure that a vendor has called me in reguard to original inquiry.

Is that normal for MS .... to care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back