Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing win98 clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mars19301

MIS
May 31, 2001
US
Already checked taskbar properties. This went gone due to a virus and crash a while back. I reinstalled win98 twice to no avail. I wouldn't miss it but I just realized another software uses this clock for display. Any ideas?

Check the registry settings
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
If there is a value named HideClock with data = 1, change it to 0.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, neither are there although I think you're on the right trail with the registry. I recall removing and repairing one of those nefarious and unwanted toolbars just before the clock vaporized.

what's up with the taskbar properties?
grayed out? or not sticking

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Properties are normal e.g. Show Clock is checked but there's no clock. If somebody could send me the Win98 registry entry, I'll give it a go. BTW, I reinstalled the affected app, and at least the related schedule alarm is working so it wasn't relying on seeing the (invisible) clock. Now this issue is simply annoying. I know that if I simply want to see a clock, there's a few freebies available to download. Thank you all for the advice.

[bull]

delete the "Settings" value here;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects

delete all the junk inside here;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU

delete the entry here;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DeskView

StuckRects should clear it up hopefully, and you may want to Export the other 2 keys first, but really not neccessary

Got User Profiles enabled on the Box?
If so, Delve into the HKEY_USERS\<profilename> key as well

Check ALL the subkeys beneath \Policies (Explorer, System, Active Desktop, Network) that PAndersen posted
thinking a munged "NoChangeDesktop" or similar setting restriction - if you have no restrictions, you shouldn't have any entries under these subkeys
there are many restrictions that can be placed to disable any changes, or atleast not "save" the changes ("NoSaveSettings" for ex)

Also here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
or
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

have you stretched the whole taskbar yet? (when the pointer turns into a [<->] double arrow - drag the taskbar to make it bigger )

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back