Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing touchtones from Norstar sets when calling outside number 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Norstar MICS6 , (T7208). About a dozen phones were added two speed dial buttons at a doctor clinic, for a dictation phone number to allow the doctors to dictate. The old number they had worked fine, but they changed the number. I went out to the Norstar sites and changed all of their auto dial buttons to the new external number, by using Feature *1. The auto dials work great. People are able to dictate, however, two of the options are not working. If you call the number from a cell phone or regular home phone, everything works fine. The number 2, and the number 8, do not work. 8 works if you do a "#8". That is not how it should be.

When you dial the dictation number, you need to hit "2" to start dictating...and that works. But once you start recording dictation, 2 is not working at all. 2 is supposed to pause dictation, and you hear a recording stating that dictation has been paused. 8 is supposed to batch the current one you are making and start another report. You do not have to hit "#" for anything. The other dialpad options during dictation are 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Those ALL work. 2 and 8 do not. There is only 1 clinic site with this problem-the other sites that use Norstar work just fine-all dialpad options for dication work. This is a rush issue because doctors are unable to properly do their dictation reports.

Could be a bad dial pad.

Take the phone to the phone room and hook up, monitor line in use with digit grabber or butt set to listen if tones are sent.

You can also use feature 808, long tones, when the call is connected.

I have already tried long tones...doesnt do a thing. And I doubt it is the
dialpad itself, because there are ten phones at this clinic with the same problem.
The numbers work when dialing out. I dialed into my work vmail
using 2 and 8 just fine. I have tried unplugging the phones and plugging
back in. Didnt change anything. You can hit 2 to start dictation, but after that, 2 & 8 do not
respond. You can hear the buttons being pressed, but for some odd reason, the dictation menu is not responding. The same phones are at a few other clinics, and they have no problems with anything. I keep thinking it has something to do with the system programming...no idea.

Well the tones are put out by the line card I would try swapping it.

Slight sensitivity issue perhaps on the line card or lines.

Have you tried every single line?

Have you tried a test set before the phone system?
Have you tried with the fax line?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I my experience, alot of touch-tone problems are caused by line transmmission that is distorting the tones. Unfortunately, this sometimes does not have much effect on normal speech, which can make the problem hard to detect. Think of touch tone as being like a paging system turned up too loud. You get noise from the speakers because the sound is distorted by an overworked amplifier. Touch tone signals are typically stronger than human conversation, so distortion can occur on lines that are working in under-par conditions. I wish you the best of luck.

Is there any way to "change" the duration of touch tone in this version of Norstar. These are all digital phones, the phones work fine for all other IVR and voice menu things, it is a PRI on site (no analog).

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

Try using the feature called long tones before dialing the digits.
Some Dictation equipment won't read the TT's that are normally put out, but will work with long tones feature.

I want to resurrect this post because the problem still exists: Here is the environment:

-MICS, with PRI through AT&T.
-A mix of new and old + large and small phones - we have 50 digital phones and all of them act the same.
-When you call the Dictation service, the first "2" works. Subsequent 2's do not work.
-Long Tones do not change anything. We conference the Norstar phone with the dictation service, and prove long tones are on - we hear them long. The dictation service does not respond.
-If any other site calls the dictation service, it works.
-If the problem site calls any other dictation, voice mail, or IVR service, it works.
-If another site calls into the accounts of the problem site, it works.
-If the problem site uses the accounts of another site, it still does not work.

We have to do something. It is strange because we have proven both the Norstar is good, and the dictation server is good. Just the same, we have to throw things at this to figure out what is just enough off to cause this.

Ideas welcome

--
--

Since its PRI does the old DID still exist? and does it still work if you were to re-program it as a test?

-Have you tried changing the new DID to use another Target Line?

So just the problem site has a problem dialing into it's own property it seems.

-What type of lines on the dictation system?
-Is it tied to the KSU in anyway?

-What software level is it?

-What are all PRI protocols set as?

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Sorry my mind is a blank as to the setting name, but there is a setting for the max number of digits that can be sent out the PRI channel. Maybe someone can chime in the name.

Marv

The site with the problem is calling across town to another site we own. We'll call this a clinic and the Corp Office. They call over the PSTN.

-Every other clinic is without problem.
-Every clinic calls the same dictation service at the Corp Office.
-The problem clinic can call any other IVR, Menu, legacy dictation service, CallPilot, MerMail, etc and the "2" always works - always. Over and over again.
-If anyone at the problem clinic uses their cell phone or home phone to dictate, it works - always.
-I had the clinic call me at the Corp Office, and I conference them in with the Dictation line and listen. Their DTMF sounds normal to my ear, and I have proven long tones were there but did not change the problem. Long or short - no difference.

Here is the oddest part:

-The first 2 they press works, but the second occurrence does not. So I press 2 for them. Now their their 2 works one time again. Then I have to press 2 for them, then their 2 works again.

They can "start" dictation, but not "pause" it. But if I pause for them, they can start... over and over.

Again, every site calls the same Dictation lines. No trouble except this one site.

I have experience it first hand on numerous occasions.

--
--

I found another clinic that has the exact same problem. It is on the other side of town. I'm taking this up with the transcription vendor, but we have basically eliminated everything from being the problem, yet the problem still exists. You can 2-Record, but not 2-Pause. If you take a handheld DTMF generator, that works, even over a speakerphone. These are both Norstar sites, and our transcription provider is Escription.

--
--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back