Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing the Registry 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2000
US
Situation/Configuration:
Windows NT4.0 Domain, Three servers (all in the domain).
ArcServeIT 6.61 running on a member server, not the PDC.
Let's call them SVR1 (arcserver), SVR2 (member server) and SVR3 (PDC) for this question.

I log into all three servers with the domain Admin account at the consoles. The ArcServeIT system account is the domain Admin account.The account is a member of the Domain Admins, Local Admins, and Backup Operators.

The ArcServe directory on the ArcServe server is shared as ArcServe$ with the proper permissions (as instructed by CA).

Problem:
SVR1 can back itself up fine.
SVR1 backs up all of SVR2 and SVR3 fine with the exception of the NT registries.

I get the following two errors, depending on how I enter the security info for the job.

If I let ArcServe use the ArcServe system account (which is also the domain Admin account):
E3534 Failed to connect to the Registry. (NODE=\\SVR2,EC5)

If I enter the Admin account and password for the job:
E3201 Unable to connect to Network Drive (DRIVE=\\SVR2\ADMIN$, EC=NO SUCH LOGON SESSION)

Anyone ever see this before? CA tech support hasn't been able to do much and the Error code descriptions in the Helpfile aren't very deecriptive or helpful.

Does the domain admin account have rights to:
log on locally
log on as a service
act as part of the operating system?

locally and service, yes
How can I tell if it can act as part of the OS? It's the Administrator account that was setup during the initial install of NT 4.0 Isaiah 35

In User Manager for Domains, go to
Policies > User Rights
Click the "Show Advanced User Rights" checkbox and then choose "Act as Part of the Operating System" from the dropdown list of rights. Then see if the account you use for backups is listed. If it isn't, add it.
Good luck.

Yes, my Administrator Account is set to Act as Part of the OS.

Off a hunch, I checked to see if ArcServe would show the reg. files when I do a restore. The registry shows up, but I can't expand it out to show the HKEY... like ArcServe normally shows.

However, I do have all of the files from the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG directory, which means that technically, I do have the registry backed up, just not the way ArcServe wants it to be.

Could leaving it like this come back to bite me if I had to do a Disaster Recovery? Also, does anyone think this mighjt be solved if I go to SP2? Currently I run 6.61 (Build 834). Monkeylizard
-Isaiah 35-

I'm not sure, but I don't think you could restore your registry if it's just backed up as a flat file along with the rest of the C drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back