Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Submit Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

pl12987

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
US

I've never run into this before. This is a delete routine on a form on a Cold Fusion template, and on the confirmation screen the form has two buttons "Yes, Mom, I'm Sure" (submit) and Cancel. It works fine, but on one particular item, only the Cancel button showed up!

I looked at the page source, and it was fine. Here it is:

<input type = &quot;submit&quot; value = &quot;Yes, Mom, I'm Sure&quot;>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type = &quot;reset&quot; value = &quot;Cancel&quot;>
</form>

Since only this one item had this glitch, something in the database row content must have affected the display. I didn't have time to study it because I had to drop the row manually.

But what would make one button come up and not the other, when we know the form is good?

How about showing the rest of the form - from opening and closing form tags?

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

there may be something in <form action=&quot;&quot;>

see to it

I thought you might be sending the actual value containing the &quot;Yes, Mom, I'm Sure&quot; to the database. In that case if you are using an Access or SQL database you might be losing the value because of the &quot;'&quot;.

If this is indeed the case, either remove the &quot;'&quot; from the string or replace the &quot;'&quot; with &quot;''&quot; before sending it to the database.

Dont know if this helps or if I am on the wrong track.

Rolf Hansen
Cloudy Apple Software

&quot;But what would make one button come up and not the other, when we know the form is good?&quot;

You can't (well, not without using some CSS to explicitly make the button invisible). Which rather implies that the form wasn't good after all.

If it happens again, do a view source and save the HTML file on your PC somewhere. Send it to the W3C Validator to look for errors. Tinker with the values to see what you need to change to get the button to (dis)appear. There must be something in the HTML that the browser didn't like, you just need to find it.

-- Chris Hunt
Extra Connections Ltd

The real world's OK for a visit, but you wouldn't want to LIVE there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back