Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing SQL Tables in Data Explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxG

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
GB
Hi,
I am using CR8.5 and all I can see are tables up to the letter J.

I sure this must be already covered but the search option is not working at the moment.

The database has over 12000 tables !!

Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be access in the list via data explorer.

If so, is there an alternative to renaming the table to begin with A !!!

Hope to here soon,
Geoff

There isn't a 10 table limit. Did you verify the database?

Hi Naith,

When I use the set location under the database drop-down,
I click on set location within the pop-up screen.
This gives the list of ODBC connections I can use.
I double-click the required ODBC connection.
The SQL user password is prompted for (which I supply)
The data explorer popup then displays the tables within the database for me to set select the required table.

It it this list that I can not see any entries past the letter J (this is after displaying at least 3000 tables with tables beginning with A through J)

The other 9000 tables cannot be seen in the list to enable me to select the required table beginning with T

Hope this makes it clearer,
Geoff

Sorry, I thought you meant 1 table for each letter - despite the fact that you clearly state that there's 12,000 tables in the database. Sorry about that, I'm a bit off form lately...

In the Data Explorer, after you click Set Location for the first time, try hitting Options, and setting "Table name LIKE" to K% (or whatever the first letter of the table is that you want.)

There may well be a 3000 table limit, because to be fair, I've never seen a database with anything near that number of objects. The fact that yours goes beyond that 3 times may indicate that someone should give your DBA a raise. Or the boot.

Naith

Naith,

<L O L> ....ro

---------

FoxG,

I am was horrified when I saw 12,000 tables. I wouldn't want to write reports for it...

I did a search at Crystal Decisions knowledge base and couldn't find anything.

Well, I went poking around the registry and I found this entry under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Seagate Software

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Seagate Software\Crystal Reports\FetchOptions

NTablesMax (8000) my setting
NTablesThreshold (500) my setting

Mine was set to 8,000 I would assume that yours is too!

To change - Double click the key, select decimal, type in new value

Try setting the value to some higher number to see if that assists you.

CAVEAT - MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MESSING AROUND IN IT. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE MAKING CHANGES HERE CONSULT SOMEONE IN YOUR ORG WHOSE JOB IS TO KNOW THIS!

Sorry about the yelling, but I don't want to be responsible for mess up.

After finding this in the registry, I went back to Crystal's Knowledge Base and with more keywords to search in hand...as able to find this article which steps you through the same as above:

I hope this helps you,

ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary@microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Thanks Rosemary...

I will check the registry settings out to see what mine say.

It a 3rd party product where each daily report generates it's own table to report from. Hence the number of tables increases by at least 10 every day. At present, these are being held indefinately. At some point we may need to archive them !!

However, it does mean we can reproduce any report from the last 12 months !!

Cheers,
Geoff

Find out if you have the option to spawn views instead of tables. You get the same benefit, with much less database overhead.

Rosemary - very nicely done, re the registry points.

Naith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back