Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Session information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiemc

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2002
GB
Hi, I have the following scenario.

I have a centralised database on a volume with 96gig and about 90 free. I have no pruning running on the database. However after about a week all file and directory information is removed from the data leaving just tape and top level session information. This is very frustrating as tape merges can be time consuming.

Can anyone help ?

Many Thanks
Jamie

Can you provide version details??

If it is Arcserve v7 for Netware this problem is very common.

Lb.

Its Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition for NT/2000 Build 1100.

in arceserve7 i have seen this a few times and was hoping maybe someone here may have an answer for database maintenance or something because currently even after a merge the data is present but it hangs the Netware server on a restore of even less then 10MB files.

Thanks

Olepi

jamiemc -
what kind of DB are u using: SQL or Raima?
If it is a central DB, then that more than one server can prune that db. Are you sure none of those servers have a prunning job running on them?
what kind of rotation jobs are you using? When a tape is deleted, the session info is wiped out and only the tape name is left in the DB. These tapes will show a destroyed date. Make sure you are not looking at those.
TP

Thank you TudorP, I think that was the problem. I have a second server doing a pruning job, that I have now turned off. Many Thanks

Hi all, fraid this seems to make no difference. Ive also noted that the purge job that was set up to run was the default 30 days and yet Im losing session info after about a week. Anyone able to help ??????????????

Thanks

Jamie - try checking for any updates and patches.

Second you may ahve a corruption in the arcserve database itself, IMO the best way to fix it is to just reinstall and patch everything.

Olepi

Jamie - here is a few links that you may find helpfull?

and if AS2000

also initializing the dataabse can fix corruptions if you do not mind going back and merging tapes if you need something from an earlier tape before the blanking of the database.

Q: How do I clear my ARCserve VLDB of records? I would like to initialize it, but don't know how.

A: Go into the ARCserve Server Admin: Start > Programs > ARCserve > ARCserve Server Admin. Highlight the Database Engine tab and from the Operation menu select Initialize Database. You can either initialize all of the databases or separate parts of it. REMEMBER! Initializing your database will clear ALL rotation job information, as well as all of your session information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back