Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Security tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

struth

Programmer
Aug 26, 2001
GB
Windows server 2003 web edition: Somehow simple file sharing has been turned on and I can't discover how to turn it off but I need my security tabs back.

Tia
Struth

Away from the actual ... everything is virtual

From Windows Explorer, Tools->Folder Options. Go to the View tab, and in the Advanced settings, go all the way to the last entry and uncheck the "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)".

Thanks tfg13 ... exactly what I thought but it isn't there. The final option in advanced settings is 'show pop-up description for folder and desktop items' !??

Are you using NTFS? If not, you will get no security tab. Otherwise, it should be on that "Folder Options > View" list.

Yes it is NTFS. It is one of two dedicated servers I run. The other is showing the security tab and I've check that it too does not have the 'Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)' option.

In investigating this further I think I have discovered a bigger problem ... or at least a symptom of a bigger problem .. which probably lies behind all my problems.

I was considering a disk defrag soon but discovered there was no 'volume' shown. So I used windows explorer to check the properties of 'C' drive - Used space '0' - free space '0'. So I think this is all a symptom of the system not being able to calculate the disk space or is that again a symptom of a deeper problem. My sites are showing fine .... at the moment but I'm getting anxious!

Have you rebooted recently? It could be the logical disk service. It could also be a hardware problem with your controller or drives.

Got it all working .....

After spending some time doing full ftp backups I rebooted the machine with a 'CHKDSK /f' scheduled for the restart (see It seems to have done the trick. I also removed a genie back up software trial that had gone past its end date. I've got my security tab, defrag etc all back.

Many thanks for all your input and helpful links.

Struth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back