Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Records in Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseMan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2001
CA
I have two tables tblDefault and tblDefaultDetails. I have one and only one record for each producer in tblDefault that records the original Default amount at the end of each crop year.

In tblDefaultDetails I have a monthly report for each administrator recording the amount repaid from the original default amount.

There is a one to many relationship between tblDefault and tblDefaultDetails.

My problem is that when I run a query which calculates the amount outstanding I get incorrect data when there is an original default amount in tblDefault and no monthly report in tblDefaultDetails.

I have tried Nz and other possibilities with no luck. This is serious inthat it happens often that there will be a record of original default values without a monthly record in the DefaultDetails table.

I have included my code for anyone that might be able to help.

SELECT tblDefaultDetails.AdministratorID, tblDefaultDetails.CropYear, tblDefaults.TotalDefaultCY, Sum(tblDefaultDetails.TotalRepaidPostCY) AS SumOfTotalRepaidPostCY, Sum(tblDefaultDetails.PrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC) AS SumOfPrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC, [TotalDefaultCY]-(Nz([SumOfTotalRepaidPostCY])+Nz([SumOfPrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC])) AS Expr1
FROM tblDefaults INNER JOIN tblDefaultDetails ON tblDefaults.DefaultID = tblDefaultDetails.DefaultID
GROUP BY tblDefaultDetails.AdministratorID, tblDefaultDetails.CropYear, tblDefaults.TotalDefaultCY;

Thanks in advance for your help

you get incorrect data? probably you get missing data, since you're using an inner join, and that will only return tblDefault rows with matching tblDefaultDetails rows

use a left outer join instead, and make sure you substitute zero for null in every column from tblDefaultDetails

rudy

Your right Rudy I get missing Data.

this is all fairly new to me could you be a little more specific as to how I create a left outer join and substitute o's.

I really appreciate your help

Bruce

[tt]select DD.AdministratorID
, DD.CropYear
, D.TotalDefaultCY
, sum( iif(isnull(DD.TotalRepaidPostCY)
,0,DD.TotalRepaidPostCY)
) as sumOfTotalRepaidPostCY
, sum( iif(isnull(DD.PrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC)
,0,DD.PrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC)
) as sumOfPrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC
, D.TotalDefaultCY
- sum( iif(isnull(DD.TotalRepaidPostCY)
,0,DD.TotalRepaidPostCY)
)
- sum( iif(isnull(DD.PrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC)
,0,DD.PrincipalAmountReceivedFromAAFC)
)
as Expr1
from tblDefaults D
inner
join tblDefaultDetails DD
on D.DefaultID = DD.DefaultID
group
by DD.AdministratorID
, DD.CropYear
, D.TotalDefaultCY[/tt]

Status