Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing "Install Component.. " in Delphi 2005's Component menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

440bx

Programmer
Mar 11, 2009
US
Hi,

This is the first time I use the IDE to develop code in Delphi.

I am quite well versed in Pascal but know nothing about the IDE. Today I had to install a component and found a set of instructions - with screenshots and all - that showed an "Install Component..." option under the Component menu.

To my surprise, my installation of Delphi 2005 does not have the "Install Component..." option under Component. It has "Installed .NET components...", "New VCL Component...", "Install Packages..." and "Import Component...".

I reinstalled Delphi 2005 on another machine thinking that my old installation might be corrupted but that didn't fix the problem.

Is there a simple way of getting the "Install Component..." menu item ?

Thank you for your help.

John.

Figured it out.

Pre-Delphi 7 (or thereabouts) had the "Install Components" option but Borland/Codegear removed it when they created the "studio" line.

Now it is done by creating packages.

The help file - unfortunately - has not been updated to reflect this change and still refers to the "Install Components"

It sounds like they've adopted the MS convention of moving and renaming where function remains unchanged, which is exactly why I'll continue to run D7 under XP.

Roo
Delphi Rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back