Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone05

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Hiya all,

I have seemed to have been a little careless and, occording to windows, miss layed my processor.

Yes windows can not find my processor

Win 2k Prof.

BIOS can find it, saids that its all ok, but windows is unable to locate it.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Clone05

Hi Clone5

Windows 2000 supports multiproccesing (2 cpu's) and there is a way of upgrading windows drivers to support this.

Your problem may have something to do with this process and drivers, I am at the extremes of my knowledge here, so if you do not feel comfortable with this then do not proceed!...

if you go to device manager (right click my computer select properties/hardware tab/device manager)

From the device manager click on "computer" and then select your computer, hit the driver tab and select "update driver" say next to the wizard and select display a list of know drivers - show all hardware of this device class.

What you should have in a "normal" pc is "Standard PC"
if you have any strange driver setting in here it could be causing your problem.

May be way off track - but could be worth looking into,

Regards

Graham
"r tape loading error"

Hiya Graham,

Thanks Graham, unfortuantly I have tried that but it didn't seem to work.

Bit more clarification (sp?)

Running 2 CPU's fine, tried to open a html document on a cd and it failed. I rebooted the PC and the second CPU vanished.

Also the Internet explorer changed from being version 6 to version 5.01

thanks

Clone05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back